• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The story cont - from introductions section

Benji&Evie

Warren Scout
Benji finally got his new Bunny girlfriend this month after a 3month search for a bunny in need, in the end I took her from a breeder after she was no longer 'of use' :x because I wanted to give her a loving retirement home and the two have settled in really well.
They are both so placid and gentle, I was really lucky and they bonded easily.........

BUT...

It turns out that the one bunny I took on was in actual fact THREE bunnies!!!
I have had her 20 days exactly and ive just learnt that gestation is 31days (I was about to go and smack the vet that neutered Benji! but turns out the breeder lied)

I was starting to wonder with all the water drinking and weeing that was going on.. And yesterday running around with hay in her mouth did send out alarm bells but I put it down to a phantom with her being an ex breeder.
Well I have to admit I was pretty shocked to find 2 extra lil pairs of ears in a big nest today when I started to clean them out!!

They seem to be healthy, were quite active and although ive never seen a baby bunny in my life Id say they were quite large, about 3 and a half inches! (shes only a dwarf herself!)
She seems to be a good mum, has built a lovely nest (even if it does include the entire contents of the poo pot and cage shredding)

I had a bit of a panic on because I was totally un prepared and didnt know if there was anything they or she needed, if Benji should have been removed or if she was too old and at risk of complications!
My vet nurse got a garbled rant and I think Im now pretty much up to speed thanks to her and the powers of google. :lol:

After lots of deliberation I have decided to leave Benji in with them for now.
I had been told that this would be ok but then also told that he might be a risk as they are not his babies.
I really couldnt decide what to do but Ive kept close eye on them and they are both acting normal, completly calm and snuggled up together quite happily. I think it would be more stressfull for them both to seperate them now unless theres problems.
Theyre both happy as larry with me and each other as if nothings happened (its just me runnin around like a looon! ) I refreshed the rest of the cage as shes spread the loo about and packed it into the hole and shes decided to wreck that too and add it to the nest so shes obviously looking after them

Evie is 'about 3 years old' so Is gettin on to be a mum poor gal and these littlies will have to be neutered and rehomed as 4 house bunnies would be too much for me at the mo.
I am slightly concerned that the 'breeder' didnt tell me... is there a reason? did she just get caught by a non netherland, has she had complications before, have her previous litters been poorly, etc etc Im reluctant to contact them again to be honest because there isnt much to gain from it. Its no difference to me if theyre mixes and whatever problems they come with we will deal with.

Ill be sending these littlies Reiki in their nest until I feel happy that they are going to be ok but for now I am grateful that there are only 2, they are indoors, and didnt fall into the wrong hands. These babes will never be breeders!
Oh... and I am a little excited now Ive got over the panic! :roll:
Ive not had experience of rearing babies before but in the last few months Ive had 20 hammies (8 born here) through the door and now these rascals! ...better not be getting to be a habit! :lol:

So, please meet...er... 'The Moles' as they are currently known :D
picture598.jpg

Mummy Evie
eviegirly.jpg

And Step Daddy Benji
benboy4.jpg

Now I see what you mean....what a shock to get!! You have come to the right place for info....there is a wealth of it here.

Aww :love: It's lovely having baby buns :D I hope you post lots and lots of photos while they're growing up! :mrgreen:

Aww they are lovely. I would take Benji out though until the babies are weaned because i've heard too many stories of the male killing the babies and that would just be horrible for you if that happened. I'm sure it will be easy to bond them after the babies have been removed at 8 weeks.

Personally I'd take him out, when they get older he won't be happy about them being there and at this age he coudl accidently crush them. It could also lead to fights as mum will want to protect her babies.

Aww Nicky just looked at your 'development' pics and I have to admit my heart skipped a beat when I saw them at 2 weeks old!

I almost hardly dare hope that both these 2 will pull through but seeing your pics at 1 week old on your hand id say that these 2 are near enough that size at 3 days old so must be doing ok?

My hearts really torn between feeling sad that Evie is having to go through it all again at her age instead of enjoying her retirement and feeling excited at the thought of these littlies hopping about in 2 weeks time!

Im so not gonna want to let them go but they cant live outside because of the fox's and we just cant have 4 house bunnies wth all the other animals here at the mo :cry:

Awww how sweet! I have left a male in with a female who has had babys that weren't his and he wa sthe best foster dad in the world! I never even new the female was pregnant so he was there at the birth and everything!

Back