• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggressive rabbit - could she be pregnant?

I have two rabbits who we think are both does. One of them is constantly mounting the other, but I just assumed this was what rabbits do. They've bonded well and live very happily together.

Boris (we thought she was a boy when we named her) has never liked being handled but yesterday when I went to take her out of the run she went for me. She dived at me making a growling kind of noise. As I said, she has never liked being picked up but she has never attacked me before, she just scratches to try and get away. Is there a possibility that she could be pregnant and that is why she has suddenly become aggressive?

If not is there anything I can do? The hutch is about 15 feet from the run and to be able to ensure she gets proper exercise I need to be able to handle her to get her to and fro.

She's not been spayed (she's a bit too young) and I'm not certain about anything. One came from my friend and another from the pet shop and were both sexed as boys. However the vet told us that they were 90% certain they were both girls but they still were not sure as |it was a bit early to tell. The one I'm concerned about is the one they were certain was a girl so that makes sense doesn't it?

I just don't know what to do because I need to be able to put her in and out of the run so that she can play but I'm covered in massive scatches and I'm not being attacked on a daily basis.

Can you train her to use a carry case, put it against her hutch and she should jump in, that way you don't get hurt and she doesn't get too stressed

Hiya! It's possible that she's pregnant, it's possible that she is in pain, or it's possible that she's just turned into a teenager with mood swings and temper tantrums!

Firstly I'd check underneath both of them (especially the one that mounted her) for any evidence of 'bits' - if the other one is a male and has got her pregnant, it should be obvious now when you turn him/her over. Male testicles are usually lovely and pink and not covered in fur!

Bunnies of the same sex can hump each other, it is used as a sign of dominance, not just for mating, so you are right to assume that bunnies do that to each other!

Assuming that they are both girls, and around 5 months old, I'd recommend booking them in with a rabbit savvy vet to be spayed. This should calm down the territorial behaviour as well as preventing the risk of uterine cancer when they are older. There is also a chance that unneutered does together will fight, you can reduce this risk by spaying.

It could be that she's reaching the age of maturity and she's becoming aggressive, a spay would certainly help. She may just be having a phantom pregancy.

Back