• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbits moulting?

fairywingz

New Kit
My two males appear to be moulting, however one of them seems to be losing hair mainly on his back. Could he have mite?

My Oliver is moulting too (It's coming out in handfulls!!! :lol: :shock: ) It's in patches and all the top coat has gone from the back of his neck.

Oliver doesn't have mites.

The vet says it's just because it's summer. Also he is a rescue rabbit and used to be a hutch rabbit but is now a house rabbit so doesn't need as much fluff.

Take him to the vet if you're worried, but I suspect it's just due to the nice weather. :wink:

(If there is a parasite you should be able to see by the condition of his skin if you can see under his fur)

Daisy is moulting, it's coming out in huge clumps! I love her moutls though (apart from being covered in fur!), because her pattern gets more pretty every time :) .

My jazz is moulting like crazy i pick him up and get coverd in his fur, gave him a kiss last night n got a face full of fur :lol: :lol: oh well..... prob just the hot weather :wink:

Came on here to ask the same question!!! Gabbie's worse than Sylvie she has a little bald patch near her neck :? Can't see any mites or any sores etc don't know if it's a heavy moult (I have seen big chunks fall out as she hops round the garden!) or if Sylvie has been a bit energetic with the grooming! :roll: sorry to hijack your post,hope your bunnies go on ok :D

Willow is moulting big time. This is the first time I have seen her moult before and she looks like she has been dragged through a hedge backwards! I had to confirm with the vets that she was ok! She normally has the most amazingly thick, deep and even velvety fur I have ever seen on a Rex. Flopsy's fur is fine in comparison, only one missing chunk so far! He never lost any large chunks last year. I do hope Willows fur will grow back as gorgeous as it was in winter...

moulting

My buns moulting a huge amount - its the time of year thats all ! I usually pull off loose fur daily and brush him .

Back