• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant bunsters...

Squishy

Banned
How much space does a giant bun need if it's going to be a house bunny? My room is 9x9 and it has no door and connects tot he kitchen which is 8x12 ft. Is that too little space for a british/continental giant to live in?

It would come around the house with me, and on occasions go into the garden which is about as big as my room :?

I wish I could help!! :( I don't know much about giant bunnies but I think that sounds like quite a lot of room :D
I'm sure someone will give you a definite answer soon :wink:

Taking away the space taken up by the furniture in both the kitchen and my bedroom its 28ft long and 3ft wide... some spaces are 6 ft wide.

bunnylove said:
LurcherGirl said:
Sounds good, in fact adult giants are quite sedate, so don't do much racing about. :)

:shock: :shock: :shock: not sure mine would agree :shock:

I dunno, the giant bunny rescue I was looking at did say that their adult giants are very layed back. But I wanted to make sure. :D

bunnylove said:
LurcherGirl said:
Sounds good, in fact adult giants are quite sedate, so don't do much racing about. :)

My previous British Giant was fairly lively, but nothing compared to the lionheads or my wild cross once he was about 18 months or so old.

My current Continental Giant x French Lop is lively too, but he is only just got 1 year old. He still gets into a lot of trouble... once he is a bit older and hopefully wiser, he will be able to go free range in the animal room. At the moment he is in a 6' cage with daily supervised exercise in the animal room.

Vera

LurcherGirl said:

I don't entirely agree. And even if that is true, they still need the run space to exercise at the backyard. So it's a moot argument.

I have different Flemish Giants for 8 yr. now. One of the things I have to do as an owner is to give them the running space and time. With my last rabbit, I let him do the running in the backyard, and once he hopped to the backyard, he would do his running and hopping around on his own. When done, he would hop near the backdoor trying to get back in.

With my current rabbit Goofball, she's different, she would only hop when I'm with her in the backyard, so I can't do my any kitchen work (which is where the backdoor is connected to) and watch her thru the windows.

So what needed to do daily, is that I induce her running by chasing her, in short, we run together. And she would do some running for about 2 min., then the rest of the time would be her own hopping.

In the recent days, I moved up to 2 set of run time everyday, so once around 2 pm and 2nd time around 6 pm. But lately, there are so many mosquitos in the evening that we can't hop outside after that.

Squishy, I never heard of a backyard that tiny. My backyard is 70 ft. long x 28 ft. wide. You should do to your backyard as to what I did w/ my rooms in the house--remove the junk and dump it to the basement. Make more space.

If your backyard is only the size of a room, they'll run, but they won't do their mid air jump, in which that is a sign of happiness and the fact that they enjoy the running, they need the space to jump.

As to these giant have more health issue than a smaller size rabbit--well, their average life span is 6 yr., w/ a max. of 8 yr. although for those who lives in the 7th and 8th year, would have a lot of health issues.

You can pick the ones that are not big, meaning you pick the smaller size Giants. For e.g., Goofball has just turn 1 yr. old, and she's only 5 Kg exact. Whereas my last rabbit is 15 - 16 lb. The lighter giant, say a female, has no dewlap is a lighter wt. rabbit.

The first 6 - 9 mth. of a giant, needs a lot of exercise, they do a lot of running, even inside my house, and if the space is limited, they'll run back and forth between 2 rooms on their own, far more than once a day, more like many times. But needless to say, the solution is to give them a long running space so they don't have to run btwn. 2 rm.

by the way, what kind of council is it that can tell you how many pets you can have?

Squishy said:
bunnylove said:
LurcherGirl said:

I dunno, the giant bunny rescue I was looking at did say that their adult giants are very layed back. But I wanted to make sure. :D

Storm would also disagree with this too :? he's a little nutter and ALWAYS racing around, ears flapping all over the place :lol: :lol:

Happy Hopping said:
LurcherGirl said:

I don't entirely agree. And even if that is true, they still need the run space to exercise at the backyard. So it's a moot argument.

I have different Flemish Giants for 8 yr. now. One of the things I have to do as an owner is to give them the running space and time. With my last rabbit, I let him do the running in the backyard, and once he hopped to the backyard, he would do his running and hopping around on his own. When done, he would hop near the backdoor trying to get back in.

With my current rabbit Goofball, she's different, she would only hop when I'm with her in the backyard, so I can't do my any kitchen work (which is where the backdoor is connected to) and watch her thru the windows.

So what needed to do daily, is that I induce her running by chasing her, in short, we run together. And she would do some running for about 2 min., then the rest of the time would be her own hopping.

In the recent days, I moved up to 2 set of run time everyday, so once around 2 pm and 2nd time around 6 pm. But lately, there are so many mosquitos in the evening that we can't hop outside after that.

Squishy, I never heard of a backyard that tiny. My backyard is 70 ft. long x 28 ft. wide. You should do to your backyard as to what I did w/ my rooms in the house--remove the junk and dump it to the basement. Make more space.

If your backyard is only the size of a room, they'll run, but they won't do their mid air jump, in which that is a sign of happiness and the fact that they enjoy the running, they need the space to jump.

As to these giant have more health issue than a smaller size rabbit--well, their average life span is 6 yr., w/ a max. of 8 yr. although for those who lives in the 7th and 8th year, would have a lot of health issues.

You can pick the ones that are not big, meaning you pick the smaller size Giants. For e.g., Goofball has just turn 1 yr. old, and she's only 5 Kg exact. Whereas my last rabbit is 15 - 16 lb. The lighter giant, say a female, has no dewlap is a lighter wt. rabbit.

The first 6 - 9 mth. of a giant, needs a lot of exercise, they do a lot of running, even inside my house, and if the space is limited, they'll run back and forth between 2 rooms on their own, far more than once a day, more like many times. But needless to say, the solution is to give them a long running space so they don't have to run btwn. 2 rm.

by the way, what kind of council is it that can tell you how many pets you can have?

Well, I guess I best rehome my giant Lancelot then as he has only got one room to hop about in... :? Shame really, because I am quite sure that he likes it here... :cry:

Oh, and our backyard/garden is no bigger than a larger room... got nothing to do with junk in it, but with the size of the garden and the walls/fences around it... Not everyone is lucky like you to have such a nice size garden... :cry:

Oh, and a lot of councils do tell their tenants how many pets they can have, if any... just like many other landlords do too!

Back