• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Awareness...help please!

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
This sunday I will be talking to a group of older kids/teens about rabbit education, care, and behaviour. :D
I will be bringing Oliver with, and I think Aspen'n'Company will be bringing either Crumpet or Willie.

I have a few things I would like to talk about, and they include:
*Food
*Cage
*toys
*behavior
*handling
*Spay/Neuter
*Rescue rabbits
*exercise
*and then I will give them a chance to pet/handle the buns.

Is there anything else do you think I should talk about? :?:

And what order do you think I should do this in? I'm writing up an outline for myself so I know what I'm taking about and I'm getting stuck.

What would you do? :D :D :D :D

Leah

Thanks Kiya!

One more question!

Do you think I should get more personal and tell them about the experiences I have had with getting a bun from a petstore, not spaying and neutering, and having a litter of 6? I think it will be a great way of getting the point across to the kids about what I did wrong, and how much education you need to be a successful rabbit owner.
Or should I keep it more professional?

xxx

Personal experiences are always good imo, as they are easier to relate to than people just talking stats :wink:

If you're talking to people about the same age as you then sharing you're experiences might work best. There is no reason why you can't do both, start with your own experiences then go on to explain anything you need to in more details.

You might want to take prompts. People can switch off it you're just talking at them but upturn a bucket of hay onto a table and announce that's how much hay a rabbit should eat a day/week and then do the same with pellets and you'll get more attention :lol:

Setting up a cage with all the accessory/toys... even the rabbit in and then pointing to things as you talk would be abother way to handle it.

Good luck!

I think starting off about the behaviour would be good as then it will get the kids interested in them, hearing about their quirks and personality before going onto the more 'boring/lecturey' sounding parts, if you have created an interest first then they will want to know more about the interesting thing.

Also explain to them that a life is a life, just as valuable as their own even though it is in a fluffy body and how would they like to be kept alone in a hutch.....

What about vet care? Many people don't know that vets will see rabbits or think exactly the opposite and they assume that ALL vets are good at treating rabbits.

Oh, and their average lifespan. There's so many people that think rabbits are old at 3! I just had a newbie on the other forum asking about a 4 year old, as she thought he might be too old to treat for a potential illness. :shock: :roll:

naturestee said:
What about vet care? Many people don't know that vets will see rabbits or think exactly the opposite and they assume that ALL vets are good at treating rabbits.

Oh, and their average lifespan. There's so many people that think rabbits are old at 3! I just had a newbie on the other forum asking about a 4 year old, as she thought he might be too old to treat for a potential illness. :shock: :roll:

OMG thank you!!! I knew I was forgetting something but I couldn't put my finger on it!!!
*runs off to add vet care and lifespan to my outline :D*

xxx

Back