• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bonded family of 6..... I don't know what to do :-(

Veronica

Mama Doe
Ok, I've been thinking for a while...and I do feel a really bad bunny mum :( I just feel like I was a little too ambious to try and keep a bonded family of 6. However, they are so bonded, and clearly in love, I really really don't want to seperate them. I honestly don't :(

A few months ago, I invested in a new 3 tier housing unit for them (5.5ft x 2.5ft x2ft each level)...with the idea of opening up a small outdoor area to the side of the shed where the housing block stands, to make a permanent outdoor run. However, my mum has now flatly refused for this to happen...she doesn't want a run on the patio. It's her house, so I have to respect her decision.
This means that the family of 6 are living in the hutch block, and are getting outside as and when I can (by setting up the temp run). This has been fine so far..they are getting out most days..dependant on weather. However, I am now about to start working full time....and realisicly won't be able to get the 6 out everyday..infact I'll prob be pushing it to get them out twice a week :( I just can't bear to think of them 24/7 in the 3 tier housing. Yes it's sufficient as a 'base' house...but no where near enough space for them to exercise :(

Ideally they need a whole shed to themselves, with a permanently attached run, to ensure they are getting fresh air and space to run, play and enjoy.
I've tried, I've begged, but my mum is not going to allow this to happen here.

I've even looked into renting a stable block or something similar, so they have the space, but this is nowhere near ideal. I don't like the fact I wouldnt get to see them all the time...visiting them to feed and water is not good enough I feel.

To have a happily, very much loved up family group of 6 is rare....and an absolute joy to watch. I've never seen anything like it. They bring the biggest smile to my face EVER!
So confident, people friendly...when out on the lawn, and I go and sit in the temp run with them, they all come over to me and start climbing over me etc. Such a joy to keep. I've brought 3 of them up from babies...and the other 3 I've handled and loved since birth. These are special buns to me, and this is why I feel gutted I am not giving them the best. :( :( :(

I don't know what to do :(

Is there anyway you can empty the shed and allow them to run around inside the shed?

Either way, they at least have each other for company every day, if you did split them up you'd surely still have the same problem in terms of having a permenant run anywhere. Also sounds like they have lots more space than a lot of bunnies xx

So Cute!! I work full time and I have time to get my three out for at least an hour. There is the odd night I don't but they get extra time out at the weekend so it's not so bad.

Sounds as though their hutch is perfect so I wouldn't worry...they will soon adapt and as long as they have space to move and lie in the hutch and can get out for at least an hour they will be fine. It won't be as bad as you thin k.

Could your mum or a sibling let them out for you?

why can't you leave the hutch door open and let them have the run of the shed? put them out in the morning in a run before work, and in the evening after work??

Thanks for your replies.

They can't have the full run of the shed, as Alfie, my french lop has his hutch at the other side, and uses the full shed as his area...the shed is always open too, for him to come and go on to the patio area.

The run I use (pictured slightly in my sig), are two put together, to allow for a large enough area for them to run about. It takes a while to get this set up, so I'd need to allow time to set it up, and move 6 bunnies into it...and then catching them to put back into the hutch...it would be difficult to allow sufficient time before and after work....plus allowing them enough time in it.
Ideally, it would be best if I could keep the run set up all the time..but this is not feesable, as my mum doesn't want it constantly set up on the lawn when not in use.

Sorry guys, I'm just thinking out loud, as I want to ensure I provide the best care for them, and I know things are going to change in the next few months :?

Ideally I'd have them in at least a 8ftx6ft shed with similar size run attached. My mum keeps telling me..."when you get your own house! You're not turning mine into a zoo!" :lol:
I can't really argue with her, as she's brilliant in allowing me to keep as many as I already do...so we have to compromise on things.

Could your group and your Frenchie not use the run of the shed and patio alternatively? That's what my lot have to do in the animal room; one pair is allowed out at the time for a couple of hours, then they are swapped with another pair so they all get to run around daily.

Vera

Since i moved i didn't quite have all the runs ready so my group of 5 had to go into the hutch and run combo i had origonally made for the group of 4. It's 7ft long, 3ft high and 4ft wide wth and enclosed hutch at either end and exra hidy spaces underneath the hutches. Since they have been in this they have been really happy and they spend most of there time streched out in the run or snuggled together in one of the hutches, very rarley do i find them all seperate there normally all together in the same space. I think they are perfectly happy in this space so the size of hutch you have for them is great and you could put them out for a run in the evening when you get home X

Yep, could the frenchie have the run of the shed during the day and the group at night? That way you could swap them morning & evening :)

Tamsin said:
Yep, could the frenchie have the run of the shed during the day and the group at night? That way you could swap them morning & evening :)

Thats not a bad idea Tamsin, thanks hun :D

Phill said:
Since i moved i didn't quite have all the runs ready so my group of 5 had to go into the hutch and run combo i had origonally made for the group of 4. It's 7ft long, 3ft high and 4ft wide wth and enclosed hutch at either end and exra hidy spaces underneath the hutches. Since they have been in this they have been really happy and they spend most of there time streched out in the run or snuggled together in one of the hutches, very rarley do i find them all seperate there normally all together in the same space. I think they are perfectly happy in this space so the size of hutch you have for them is great and you could put them out for a run in the evening when you get home X

That's true! :lol: :lol: :lol:
3 levels...and mine spend all the time in a huge heap on the bottom level!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've found that durning the day my two, despite having the entire dining room to run round huddle up together under a dining room chair and stay that way most of the day snoozing. Only first thing on a morning and on an evening do they come out and run round so letting them out on an evening for a couple of hours or letting them run round the shed at night would be fine if they are anything like my two!

Back