• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question for cat people U/D she's fine

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Worm, my cat in my siggy was very poorly last night and I've been wondering if she had eaten some rat poison or something similar.

She can running in the house crying then proceeded to throw up and poo everywhere. Her pupils were really dialated and she had her mouth hanging open with a bit of spit/foam coming out.
She then layed down and was really heavy breathing.

Strange thing is this actually happened once before 2 years ago at our old address.
We were just thinking of ringing then vets but after about 20 minutes she was much better and just went to sleep. This morning she was absolutely fine and her usual lively, friendly self.

If it was rat poison then I suppose there isn't much I can do about it as i can't stop people setting it in their own gardens. And another thing is, she is incredibly fussy and will only eat one kind of cat food- and that is it, she is not even interested in chicken or tuna, so i'm not sure why she would have eaten something strange anyway.
My boyfriend thinks she may have eaten a slug as she does like digging worms up.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen before?

If it were rat piosen she would almost certainly be bleeding from somewhere as the main ingredient in rat piosen is Warfrin witch stops the blood from clotting and causes bleeding. Lilly pollen is piosenous and if she had maybe brushed past a few lillys it could cause the sort of reaction that she had, Lilly pollen can be fatal however so have a good scout about the garden for any lillys

Phill said:
If it were rat piosen she would almost certainly be bleeding from somewhere as the main ingredient in rat piosen is Warfrin witch stops the blood from clotting and causes bleeding. Lilly pollen is piosenous and if she had maybe brushed past a few lillys it could cause the sort of reaction that she had, Lilly pollen can be fatal however so have a good scout about the garden for any lillys

Ok thank you, I will have a look tonight, our garden is in two sections and I know there's none where the rabbits were in as I checked all the plants there but it's quite long and overgrown so there's a chance there could be some at the back.

(BTW my bf also thought she may have drunk the soapy bathwater but i can't see why she would have done that or why it would have such a severe reaction.)

She defiently wasn't bleeding- just the vomiting and pooing.

question for cat people

Hi :) It sounds to me as though your cat may be fitting :( I had a similar problem with my little girl Maisie :( after the fit had passed she would be fine which was a pain as by the time the vet saw her she would be O.K. so difficult to diagnose :shock: :? I would get your pussy checked over by your vet as she will possiblly need meds :?: :(

Re: question for cat people

rabshan said:
Hi :) It sounds to me as though your cat may be fitting :( I had a similar problem with my little girl Maisie :( after the fit had passed she would be fine which was a pain as by the time the vet saw her she would be O.K. so difficult to diagnose :shock: :? I would get your pussy checked over by your vet as she will possiblly need meds :?: :(

Thank you for posting about masie, that would never have occurred to me, but it does make sense after the incident two years ago. I will book her an appointment asap, I couldn't bear anything to happen to her.

How is Masie now? How often would she have fits?

Rat poison

I doubt your cat will be affected by Rat poison.
I have 4 cats and they hunt the fields and local building site bringing home rats all the time.
A cat would have to eat at least 6 poisoned rats to be affected by Rat poison!
warfarin as far as i know is not allowed to be put in public areas like fields etc only around infestations in peoples properties .The reason for this is Rats live wild in fields so they are not allowed to poison wildlife.If someone around you has rats in a garden/house then enviromental health can poison them but your cat would have to eat lots of rats.
I dont know about your cats but my cats kill but rarely eat their kill and i cant imagine your cat eating 6 whole rats !!!
Id say your cat has maybe ate something else which has upset it's stomach.Cats will eat anything , my cat recently was ill i took him to the vets and it was licking Antifreeze of car windows - apparently they love it.
Take your cat to the vets and let us know how you get on but i dont think its Warfarin

i was only thinking of some kind of poison because of how severe her reaction was and how quickly she was better after she was sick- ie)it was out of her body.

I've just booked her an appointment for tonight and work said i can leave early. Thanks everyone xx

(Please don't think that I would not have taken her to the vets- if she had seemed remotely ill this morning I would have gone into work late, but as i said she really was fine when i woke up- in fact she woke me up by jumping all over me, as she does every morning.)

Do you think she may have licked or tried to eat a toad? Only reason is that my friend's dog had exactly the same reactions, and they think it could have been a toad. Not sure if cats would react the same but just an idea. Hope all goes well at the vets.

Nicola

Phill said:
We had two cats poisened once by rat poison, one was a kitten and died the other was a adult neither of them bled they just got really ill

Hi,
My cat had suspected poisoning about 6 weeks ago and he's been ill tonight so I'm taking him back in. I'm not sure if its poisoning or not this time.
The first time he was sick and became very disorientated and kept shaking. He had to be put on a drip. A few days later he was ill again and the same thing happened after that he was fine and being young (he's only one) he made a quick recovery. The vet thinks he ate poison not once but twice. Silly cat. I have no idea what's wrong this time he has his third eyelids out and feels all floppy.
:cry:

I've been to the vets and they could find nothing wrong with Worm.

The vet said there's only a small possibility of fitting as she hadn't been shaking and the two incidents were quite far apart. He just said to bring her back if it happens again but it does seem as though she had eaten something dodgy- possibly a garden pesticide.

When I got back from the vets the pile of sick in the garden was gone (what has eaten that?! :roll: ) but there was the rememnants of a rather big spider and a few little bird feathers, so perhaps that was it, :?

Oh well, i'm just very glad she's ok

rineyroo said:
Hi,
My cat had suspected poisoning about 6 weeks ago and he's been ill tonight so I'm taking him back in. I'm not sure if its poisoning or not this time.
The first time he was sick and became very disorientated and kept shaking. He had to be put on a drip. A few days later he was ill again and the same thing happened after that he was fine and being young (he's only one) he made a quick recovery. The vet thinks he ate poison not once but twice. Silly cat. I have no idea what's wrong this time he has his third eyelids out and feels all floppy.
:cry:

Oh, i really hope you're cat is ok :( , let us know xx

I've just returned from the vets. My cat is staying overnight. The vet has no idea whats wrong. He'll have another blood test for FIV and Leukaemia tomorrow. He is vaccinated. He's been ill on and off since he was a kitten. :cry:

cat people

My Maisie was in the beginings of kidney failure which had caused her to fit :( she would go long times in between fitting But they did get worse :( she had 2 in one evening so we went to the vets again & it was decided to let her go as she was starting to suffer :(

rineyroo said:
I've just returned from the vets. My cat is staying overnight. The vet has no idea whats wrong. He'll have another blood test for FIV and Leukaemia tomorrow. He is vaccinated. He's been ill on and off since he was a kitten. :cry:

oh no, I am sending vibes for your cat. How old is he? xx

Re: cat people

rabshan said:
My Maisie was in the beginings of kidney failure which had caused her to fit :( she would go long times in between fitting But they did get worse :( she had 2 in one evening so we went to the vets again & it was decided to let her go as she was starting to suffer :(

I'm really sorry to hear that, it must have been a really difficult decision to make, but the right one for Maisie x

Back