• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Waaaaahhh!! HUGE rat, what do I do???

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Have just spotted the mother of all rats near my bunnies :shock: It was in the run on the grass with them but i braved it and went away and now the run door is locked so they are seperated by the wire now, safe :) However, I am now too scared to let them onto the grass incase the rat comes back again and hurts them :( Hubby is currently on a 'stake out' with an air rifle :roll: What do I do????? :cry:

Oh Kareen its just awful :( I actually had to clap my hands to get it to go away so I could shut Eddie and Elsa in :shock: Kenneth got a shot at it but not sure if it hit :? I'm sorry rat lovers but this is a beast :( I'm concerned if its determined it could chew into the run/hutch :? Dirty creature :cry: I'm sure pet rats are lovely but not this big wild one :(

peediepixie said:
Have just spotted the mother of all rats near my bunnies : What do I do????? :cry:

:shock: :shock: :shock: Well I would RUN :!: :!: :!: :!: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OMG we had a big rat in our garden last year, and it kept darting out at me....it was HUGE :shock: :shock: :shock: :x :x
Firstly we tried a humane Rat trap, but the rat managed to evade it :roll: :lol: but in the end had to contact the Council Pest Control officer to come and put some poison down in areas well away from the bunnies :?
It was the only way to control things I am afraid, as Rats do indeed carry diseases and we cannot afford to have one on loose around the Sanctuary.
They breed very quickly too, so the sooner you act the better :wink:
Good luck with your rattie problem, please let us know what happens.

best wishes

Eww EwwEww!!! I am a rat lover but fancy rats not damn great wild ones!!! We had an entire family under my mums shed last year! Fortunatly my mums Lab is extremely good at catching them otherwise it would have to have been piosen, the deseases rats carry can also be passed on to humans so i really would get rid of it quick XX

RAT

Rats eat rabbit poo ! so make sure all poo is cleaned up around hutch also food etc.
The rat is probably a female as they are larger and will be looking to make a nest so make sure any bunny food is stored off the floor.
If you store food and hay etc in a shed or garage then get in and check there is not a Rats nest there already .
If the rat has been in check you will know then and remove the nest.
Rats usually have a run so check your garden to see wher its coming from.
You can call the Enviromental health they will come and put poison down just make sure all animals are kept in until Rat is gone !
Dont worry Rats are not that scary my cats bring me dead ones all the time !!

Hi all. Hubby quite enjoyed his spell as a tracker last night, he thinks he hit it with the pellet gun but it didn't kill it straight away :? I don't like to hurt animals, it'd have been better to kill it outright but I don't want to see it back again, BTW cheese dorito's are apparently irresistable to rats :lol: I'll keep an eye out for it from now on though :? I am seriously considering getting a cat :? The problem is our lab is quite excitable and I wouldn't want him to hurt it, deliberately or accidentaly. Also, we live next to a reasonably quiet but fast road... however there are fields all around the house which would be perfect for a puss. I don't have that much spare time at the mo for house training etc. What would you do??

Did you spot it again today? Be very careful with the bunnies - I had a bunny die a horrid death and another almost die after comming into contact with someone who had a pet rat - I hate to think what the wild rat might be carrying.

I thank goodness, haven't seen the rat again, phew! The buns seem to be ok so hopefully they will continue to be ok :) I'll be keeping a careful eye out now though. B****y things :x

You could always get a humane trap that will catch it so you can release it elsewhere. I'm super brave when it comes to mu buns, things that usually scare me half to death, I will brave for the buns!

Back