• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rehomed bunnies

gil

Mama Doe
Hi
just recently taken on 2 bunnies who have been in a succesion of homes before i got them with the result that they are very very nervous. so far they have been quiet not wanting to come out cage etc but we lifted them (in their cage) out to the garden last nght. it took them ages to venture out to explore but once they did they loved exploring the garden. after an hour decided to get them bck inside and that's when i noticed how very nervous they are. don't think they've been handled much in the past as one of them in particular shook for ages after i got her back inside.
any tips? they seem quite depressed to me so thought that being out in a garden would help. any other suggestions would be appreciated.
although they are in the house just now they will be going outside once i've got them used to us - also got more bunnies outside so will be building these 2 a run.

I would take it a bit slower, especially if the garden is big as lots of changes of surroundings will unsettle them further. The garden will be great for them when they're a bit more comfortable, but at present is probably a new set of threats in their eyes. I would say leave them to themselves for a while so they can get used ot their surroundings, sit in with them quietly or sit near their pen so they can see you're not a threat, but go really slowly. Good for you for taking them in x

I rescued to buns about 3 to 4mths ago and the male one of the two as only just started coming to us, he sits in is litter under the hutch in the shed and just pops is head over the litter tray to eat. Some rabbits take longer than others to trust you.

thanks for your suggestions. we are taking things slowly with them. we open their cage and eventually they will come out to explore the house but they don't go very far just now. we are doing this at least twice a day, sitting next to them while they explore their new surroundings.

Hello, my french lops were so skittish and nervous when I rehomed them. I had them in my kitchen and they had a carrier there for them to sleep in free range. As soon as we entered the kitchen, they ran into their carrier. As soon as we stroked them, they ran. I think it takes months of familiarity and not wanting to try to fast to pick them up. The girls are now very social and will come and climb over us if we are on the kitchen floor. I think they have now associated us with food. If they are in the garden and we want them in, we call them and they run in, but again I think its about food.

Because my other house rabbit has never liked to be picked up, I haven't wanted to impose this on the girls and we do everything at ground level for them.

I think it took about 4/5 months for them to settle down and not panic about humans

Back