• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Open Farms

raven_guest

Mama Doe
I went to two farms today that have 'pets corners' and my god I hate kids! (And adults who look after them) The first farm I went to, they had a bunny cuddling session, but the kids are told NOT to pick up the rabbits, they can stroke them or give them a bit of cabbage but MUSTN'T pick them up.
There was a school trip there and the adults were so f'ing stupid! One nearly sat on a bun, one was picking up by their ears and one was throwing them from child to child. The whole thing was supervised by a member of staff who was telling them not to pick them up, but when he wasn't looking the kids were grabbing them (by a leg, ear anything) I was so mad. It's done on huge bales of hay so the buns can't jump down and some of the buns used were only 6 weeks old!
All the buns were running to hide behind me and I had a go at one of the lady's handling them wrong, I also took several rabbits off the children and pretended I worked there as I was getting so angry. My bf was hiding in the corner. It's bad enough when kids can't follow instructions, but when their guardians can't do it either is rediculous! They don't seem to understand that the buns might not want to be thrown around.
By the end of the session I had four baby rabbits on my lap and three hidden behind me (yes I broke the rules and picked a few up, only to stop them being stood/sat on)
They also had does with nests that were in hutches that people could ahve opened. I personally think does with kits should be given some peace and privacy, these weren't.

The second place I went to had a huge enclosure for buns and guineas (grrr) but was unsupervised. Luckily there was no one else there so I was happily sat there for over half an hour feeding the poor things that had no food in their bowls (it could have been filled up in the morning, I went in the afternoon)
The problem was, three of the rabbits had torn ears and one even had a new looking cut. I told staff and they said 'yeah they fight' Nice! There were tonnes of baby guineas in there that were hiding from the rabbits and all the rabbits were terrified of two particular rabbits that would snap at and bite the others if they went near the food. It was horrible! Felt like sticking them in my pocket and running! Apart from that, it was really clean etc, but they just don't have a clue, just stick animals in together and if they fight...oh well!

That sounds awful. :( I hate when I see guinea pigs that are obviously riddled with mites or fungal disease with big patches of hair loss. How obvious things like that can be ignored I'll never know.

Oh no, sounds awful!
We went to a falconry a couple of weeks ago, and there was a display type thing in a barn, where some owls were brought out to fly around. We were told specifically not to touch them, the kids were really good, it was the blooming adults who were trying to touch these owls. :roll:

Back