• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

reaction to VHD

Not been about much the last week or so, I took Smokie for his VHD about 2 weeks ago, after a couple of days he developed an awful reaction to it, and has been a poorly wee chappy. lots of contact with vet in person and by phone, and thankfully he is now back to his usual self, but with the most enormous scabby lump on the back of his neck. The vet assures me this means he is very well protected, but my golly did he give me a fright :shock:

The vet didn't administer it properly, they're supposed ot draw up the fluid with one needle and inject with another to stop the fluid from coming into contact with the skin (which is why you got a scab) next time check they change needles or it will happen again x

Oh my god

I'm getting the boys VHD vacs on friday morning at 9am but I'm working at 3pm, spoke to the vet and she assured me that they'd be okay there was no need for me to take the day off work. I'm worried now :? :(

Re: Oh my god

lucyj said:
I'm getting the boys VHD vacs on friday morning at 9am but I'm working at 3pm, spoke to the vet and she assured me that they'd be okay there was no need for me to take the day off work. I'm worried now :? :(

Aww They will be absolubtely fine!! I have never worried when mine have been vaxd, and def. dont take the day off, It will be a waste. Sorry to hear about Smokie Sally :shock: :( Xx

It's nothing to worry about, if it's done wrong they'll be a bit under the weather. Just ask how they do the jab and ask that they change the needles.

honeybunny said:
Aww Sally sorry to hear this..sending nose rubs to the little guy xx

thanks Jill, he loves his nose rubs!! He is such a friendly little chap, always runs up to say hi when you walk past the run :D He and Trinny are very happy together, a perfect pair :love:

Awww Sally XX Im glad he's ok now! Stitch did this same thing when he had both his myxi and his VHD and again when he had to have Baytril injections. We now have him on Oral antibiotics and things as he gets terribly unwell if injected and gets a huge red scabby lump

raven_guest said:
The vet didn't administer it properly, they're supposed ot draw up the fluid with one needle and inject with another to stop the fluid from coming into contact with the skin (which is why you got a scab) next time check they change needles or it will happen again x

never heard of that i have watched vets do this hundreds of times and nevefr seen a vet do that :shock: only ever had one rabbits scab up although she didnt on his second vhd jab sally (so dont get worried about it happening again) :D

bunnylove said:
raven_guest said:

never heard of that i have watched vets do this hundreds of times and nevefr seen a vet do that :shock: only ever had one rabbits scab up although she didnt on his second vhd jab sally (so dont get worried about it happening again) :D

my others were all done at the same vets and none of them had any reaction...to be honest I wasnt watching how the vet drew it up, I was trying to stop Smokie jumping off thetable :shock:

Drawing up the vaccine then discarding the needle and using a new one to give the injection protects against a local skin reaction but not a systemic one.
I've just done 33 and have got through 66 needles :shock:

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
BirdieBun said:
omg Jane you vaccinate your buns yourself?

After careful Veterinary instruction, Yes.
I think many people with a vast number of Buns do.
:D :D

Janex

I think that would terrify me! Im ok when it comes to antibiotics and things but if i inject myself with baytril im alright VHD or myxi vaccine would be a different matter! Good for you Jane!!

Phill said:
Jack's-Jane said:
BirdieBun said:
omg Jane you vaccinate your buns yourself?

After careful Veterinary instruction, Yes.
I think many people with a vast number of Buns do.
:D :D

Janex

I think that would terrify me! Im ok when it comes to antibiotics and things but if i inject myself with baytril im alright VHD or myxi vaccine would be a different matter! Good for you Jane!!

I didnt do the Myxo's myself as I was worried about doing the bit in the ear :oops: But the VHD is just straight forward sub-cut using a different needle to the one used to draw up the Vaccine. As long as you pull the plunger back a bit to make sure your not in a vein all is OK.

Janex

Back