• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another Bonding Question - 2 teens and an older newbie

SammieHernandez

Warren Scout
Hi all, I know there's lots of bonding questions out there so you're probably all fed up of this but I have two teenager bunny's (around 5 months, maybe more), both boys (unneutured at the moment but i'm looking for a local vet to take them as we speak). My current two are a little rough with each other at the moment because of the hormones but that's being dealt with.

When I called the vets I was asked to take in one of the staff's rabbits (another male who she's had for at least 1 year, probably older) and I was wondering whether I could bond the new older bunny with my two younger ones or should I think about getting him his own partner?

Thanks for any help!

I would reccomend that you find the new bun his own friend. Bonding males together is very difficult. Even bonding two brothers can be extremely hard.

If you do attempt to bond the new bun in with your boys I would suggest you wait atleast 4 weeks (preferably 6) after the neuters before you attempt to bond him in. Hormones can take 6 weeks to be completly gone. Your two might even continue fighting for a few weeks post neuter.

Good luck with your bonding!

Thanks for the reply :)

Yeah I understand it can take a while for the hormones to disappear out of the system.

Do you think it will be okay for the two bonded boys to be able to smell the newbie and maybe even see him through the cage or should I keep them completely seperate? (i.e. in different rooms of the house)

All of my buns live in the same room without any problems. As long as they can't get at eachother (your boys and the newbie) then the same room should do fine. Perhaps seeing and smelling might make bonding a possibility in the future.

Back