• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Holly's Bum again!

Holly's bum is worse now than it has ever been. Her feet tail and bum are soaked with urine and her fur is also died an orangy color now.

She is obviously upset by it because she is always kicking her feet trying to dry them. Last week i gave her a bath and washed out as much as I could, but it didn't help much. She also is beginning to develop mats on the bottom of her feet.

What do I do?!

Fortunately for Holly she now has a friend so he is keeping her a little calmer than she normally would be in this situation.

Hiya

Is Holly actually leaking wee, ie incontinent?
If so I think your Vet needs to have a look at her to try to find out why.
I dont know anything about Holly's history so forgive me if I am asking silly questions :oops:
There are lots of reasons why a Bun leaks wee:
Urinary Tract Infection
EC
Spinal problems
'Mechanical' problem in the Urinary Tract
Bladder Stones
Kidney Disease..........

With regard to keeping her clean whilst you try to estblish the cause of her problem you could try to trim as much fur from her 'nether regions' as possible. You may need to bathe her a couple of times a day too.

Sorry I cant be more specific but as I say, I dont know Holly's history.

Janex

Holly didn't have bum problems until last winter. then she started drinking LOTS of water. She ended up having a liver infection that we treated with baytril. I don't think the infection is back because she isn't displaying any of the symptoms from before. I'll clean her up again and see if that helps at all.

ps. how do you tell if a bun is "leaking"?

Poor Holly if only she knew these discussions about her nether regions! Is she an old rabbit? You could try using a different bedding such as vet bed to keep her a bit cleaner or something else more absorbant. Poor little girl!
Drinking lots is often a sign of liver or kidney problems, is she still drinking lots?

I'd take her back to your Vets. If she is always wet that is a sign that she is leaking wee. This is not normal and the sooner the CAUSE is identified the better.
She may have a low grade wee infection or, as I mentioned previously EC.
Your Vet may suggest taking a blood sample to re-check kidney and liver function. Vet may also test a wee sample for signs of infection.
Keeping her clean and dry is addressing the SYMPTOMS but not the cause.
Here is some info' on EC

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/ecuniculi.htm

Janex

Thanks Jane!

I finally have payed off my debts to my mom for her first visit to the vet :lol: I also need to take Willie so I guess that will be my project for the day. I switched litter and she has dried up now, but she will still be making it back to the vets. I also need to find a vet that is comfortable removing Crumpet's inscicors. This is going to be an expensive summer!

Holly has started to drink less, but still not as little as she used to. She is still young (not even two yet).

Back