• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help pickin my rabbit up

bexn2kids

Warren Scout
hey all i have had thumper for about 2 months now he is about 8 months , well he has allways been really friendly and loves being smoothed and stuff but i have tried to pick him up a few times and he just trys to kick out i dont think am doing right , this is my first bun i felt so sorry for him as they lady didnt want him any more any he is such a sweetie , i have lreaned so much from this website and thumper only has the best now, he is a house bun and loves to come out and play but i find it hard to get him back in if he wont go in on his own ?? sometimes i use the pet carrier as i find that will work and i pop veg in his cage but sometimes he will have none and am tryin to get him for hours please help tc luv becks xx

My rabbits are scatty and sometimes it's not how i'm holding them but the fact they are being held!!

As long as you are supporting them from underneath and their bum/back legs they should be fine, hold him close as well as they don't like to feel as though they might fall. Hold him close and tight.

Mine are starting to scamper off less at bedtime now that I am using a trust method. I sit there and hold out a treat to get them to approach and over time slowly bring the treat closer and closer until they are within reach. I let them have the treat then scoop them up!

Smudge used to go to bed on her own but sometimes they just don't want to. Try not to chase as they will run around more; try to sit and get their interest and coax them over to be picked up.

You are doing the right things but sometimes they just don't want to be good!! Is Thumper neutered?

thanks hun u have really helped , thumper istant neutred yet but i do want to get him done soon i think as i would love to get him a friend as he is such a lovely rabbit

No worries!

You will find that he will be happier to handle once he's neutered as Smudge was forver nipping and nibbling until she was done.

Aw a little friend!!

I hold my buns to my chest and use my chin as an extra hand, it tends to stop them throwing themselves about if they think you have tonnes of hands. What I mean is, I put my chin on their back etc so they feel more secure.

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but . . . When I had my first house rabbit I had the same problem. He was free range most of the day and I put him back in his cage at night - but like you sometimes it was REALLY hard to get him back in! The thing is I thought I SHOULD put him back in but then I thought - why?! So now he (and his girlfriend!) are permanently free-range although they are restricted to one room that has been bunny proofed. So .. . my long-winded point is that you may be better off just leaving him roaming if it is safe. Worth considering anyway.

Back