• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Honking/ Biting

BirdieBun

Wise Old Thumper
Bambi still honks at me even though she was speyed a few months ago - do any of your speyed females do this?

Oooh and ps how do you stop a bunny from biting?? I know sometimes when she is going to do it and my reaction is to tap her on the nose rather firmly but it doesn't make a blind bit of difference, and neither does saying NO firmly to her :?

Aww hun, non of mine honk but Oakley grunts! What is she biting?? My house buns bite the furnature and stuff but me and ali have found a loud hand clap of stamp of the foot is enough to stop them

Is it 'proper' biting or more of a nip, like 'get out of my way'? I'd be inclined to scream, they recognise that as meaning that they have caused you pain and may stop over time. I've also learnt with Heather (who will nip my bum if I happen to be in her way!) just to make sure that I'm not in her way - tactics on avoidance of nipping :lol:

My rabbit does this and I find shrieking when he does this and tapping him on the nose have helped. Also just picking him up for short periods and giving him a treat when I put him down.

Whatever you do don't put him down when he's bitten you as they then asociate the biting with a way to be put down. Bun needs to know you are harmless so minimal holding is good with praise afterwards.

I wear a thick jumper now whilst handling him in case but he's getting better!

It's perseverance but making sure bun knows that he hurts you. Noise is a good way to do it.

Bertie my little boy bun bites me. It's usually just a nip tho, not a proper bite as it rarely breaks my skin. I have tried lots of things to try to get him to stop but nothing seems to work. I have decided that its just his personality and I am hoping that as he gets older he may calm down. He's only 9 months old....

Beatrix likes the taste of my blood in her mouth, I've never tap her nose though, I find running helps :lol:

Mine don't bite but when they were little if I got an occasional nip (not the vicious kind) if they want to get past whilst you are kneeling on the floor and they're in a bad mood (you know!) I gently, but firmly pushed their head down and said NO loudly.

They do learn by this but sometimes Billy still tries to nip me gently when I am grooming him as he HATES it especially if my hand is near his mouth I feel his teeth!!!

You could also try a water spray on the face (but gentle spray so as not to hurt).

Hope this helps :)

Bunnysam said:
Hi BirdieBun!

I think we posted at EXACTLY the same time, I have done a post just above yours :D

Yes we did ha ha I hadn't seen your reply. See I have pushed Bambi's head down and I think she does bite me when she is in a bad mood, normally she jumps uponto me on the settee then bites me. Maybe I will keep trying that though.

P.s Haven't seen any piccies of Rosie and Billy for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages!!!!!! Could you please put some on they are so gorgeous! :love: Used to love your signature!

Keep persisting and remember to push their head down as soon as they bite and keep it down just for a couple of seconds. Ahhh it sounds really horrid but you have to let them know who is in control ... a bit like children I guess :lol:

Thank you for your nice comments about Billy & Rosie :D I hadn't been on the site for AGES because of my bosses could see my pc screen but now I have moved ha ha!! My signature page had gone and I'm not sure how to do it :?

When I get a free moment this weekend I will ask my b/f. Oh yes and I must get downloading some more piccies as there are loads on my new pc at home!!

I know this thread was way down the page (see i just go to work and miss so much :lol: )
but I was pleased to read it as fudge does the same, like you said I can tell when she is about to, but some times it comes out of the blue. I can be giving her a cuddle, but I think if I crowd her too much I get bitten-she's got me on my nose, cheek and lip!!! none of these have drawn blood, but she seems to know she has upset afterwards. Usually licks me after!!!! I do get upset when nips for no reason!
I know fudge is like to nip and lunge at me when I move her food bowl!!!!! Thats just a hungry rabbit for you :lol:
I was moving a towel out of her way the other day and thats when she honks!!!! so I teased for a bit and she carried on honking but didn't seem aggressive with it.
The funniest nip must be when she went for my mums bum,mum was sat on the top of the stairs which is fudge's favourite spot, my mum soon moved out of the way :lol:

well she bitme again last night cos she is eating our wallpaper in our new house :evil: told her not to and tapped her head and I got bittem for it she is such a little s*d!!!!!!

Back