• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i need some help? please

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
i get phone call after phone call from parents and grandparents wanting baby rabbits for there 2,3, 4 year old kids ect.....

now i want something/a link to put on my site where i can direct these people to "why rabbits arent great pets for young children" and if they still insist on getting them what they need and WHY" because i am sick to death of repeteing myself to people that just think i am being "picky" :roll: :roll: :roll: say five foot hutch to some of these people and they go very quite and get off the phone real quick! :roll: :roll:

does anyone have, know , can write something that maybe useful for somewhere to direct these people to some general understanding?? but is quite condense as i have a feeling these people have the concentration levels equivalent to the age of the people they are buying the bunny for!

Eve x

I think that is a great idea!

I think you should write it all in points so it is quick and easy to read for people instead of paragraphs where as you say, people just don't have the concentration levels!

Phill said:
Eve why don't you write something and put a page on your website??

will do if no one has something simple :roll: :roll: to hand, its just finding the bloody time! i am suuposed to be cleaning now, but its so hot i keep coning in to cool down before i do another! :roll: :roll:

bunnylove said:
Phill said:

will do if no one has something simple :roll: :roll: to hand, its just finding the bloody time! i am suuposed to be cleaning now, but its so hot i keep coning in to cool down before i do another! :roll: :roll:

Do you wnat me to have a go??

If it's ok with everyone on here and Tamsin and Adele can i borrow a few posts here and there??

Im not saying it will be good eve but i can try??

Phill said:
bunnylove said:
Phill said:

Do you wnat me to have a go??

If it's ok with everyone on here and Tamsin and Adele can i borrow a few posts here and there??

Im not saying it will be good eve but i can try??

woudl love you to phil maybe do a fact sheet or summit but i will leave that upto you, can you also pm me your postal adress hun, have a card 4 ya!

ok i will give it a shot today! Mind as i say it may not be very good and the guys on here may wish to improve it after im done!!

Ok so far i have done accommodation, company, vet, diet, handling, grooming. What else????

Phill said:
Ok so far i have done accommodation, company, vet, diet, handling, grooming. What else????

WHERE THEY ARENT GOOD PETS FOR KIDS and HOw long they live yu would not believe the amount of people that think they have the lifecycle of a hamster! :shock:

bunnylove said:
Phill said:

WHERE THEY ARENT GOOD PETS FOR KIDS and HOw long they live yu would not believe the amount of people that think they have the lifecycle of a hamster! :shock:

Yep done the why they aren't good for kids bit

Ok this is what i have written anyone any ideas, thoughts, suggestions????

Like i said it's not terribly good

Rabbits as Pets

Rabbits are great animals and are not only a pet but can become a beloved member of the family.
Many rabbits are bought from pet shops as children’s pets, this is fine as long as the adults buying the rabbit are prepared to pay for vet bills when needed, food and most importantly are prepared to look after the rabbit as a child can not be held responsible for a living animal. A rabbit should not be bought solely as a child’s pet but as a family pet, Children have a tendency to poke prod and mishandle small animals making them wary and sometimes aggressive. Rabbits are intelligent creatures and should be treated as such, not ignored at the bottom of the garden or trapped in a hutch day after day. You wouldn’t treat your dog this way so why a rabbit. Children should not be left to handle or care for a Rabbit alone they should have a responsible adult present at all times.
Many pet shop rabbits end up in rescue centres after the children loose interest and the parents are not willing to look after it.
There are currently 33,000 rabbits in rescues around the country and we would strongly urge anyone interested in owning a rabbit to visit there local rescue centre and if possible give one of the rabbits in rescue a loving home.
Below are a few things to consider when looking for a pet rabbit:

· Accommodation: One rabbit needs a hutch of 5ft long, 2ft wide and 2 ft high and preferably a run as well. Rabbits like to move, run, dig and play. They need enough space to do all these things and need to be let out of the hutch on a daily basis for some free moving playtime.
· Company: Rabbits are social creatures they crave attention and are best kept in pairs of one male and one female. Bare this in mind as neutering and spaying are critical to stop unwanted pregnancy’s, even brothers and sister will breed and should be kept separate until neutering has been done. Rescue centres will often have already neutered there rabbits cutting down on expenses to the new owner and unwanted litters. Rescue centres can also help you find a friend for you current rabbit or pair up a rabbit you would like to home.
· Diet: Rabbits need a high fibre diet; they should be fed a good pellet food as this stops selective eating, ad-lib hay and vegetables each day. They require fresh water daily either from a bottle or a bowl.
· Veterinary Treatment: Rabbits require vaccinating. There are two vaccines available for rabbits Myximatosis and VHD. VHD need to be once a year and Myxi every 6 months depending on the area you live in. Your vet can give you advice on this. Although some rabbits will only ever need to see the twice a year for vaccinations they can also suffer a number of problems which will need to be treated by a vet. These can include teeth, eyes, ears, tummy troubles and most commonly an infection called pasturella. Veterinary treatment for a rabbit can be anything from £10 to £600 so please do bare this in mind when looking for a rabbit.
· Grooming: Rabbits need grooming. They will need regular nail trims and brushing, as rabbits moult they will groom them selves but can get hair balls as cats do but in rabbits a hair ball is far more serious causing bloat or GI stasis which can kill if not treated immediately by a vet, grooming the rabbit daily will help them.
· Handling: Rabbits need to be handled carefully; they need constant support under their bottom and back legs and should be held to the body making them feel safe. If a rabbit feels unsafe it can and will kick out with it’s back legs and/or bite. This in turn causes the rabbit a lot of stress and the owner as they think there is something wrong with the rabbit.
· Lifespan: Many people think that a rabbit only live a couple of years, this is not true they can live up to 14 years possibly longer and you need to be prepared to have a rabbit for that amount of time.

Most importantly please make sure that a rabbit is really the right pet for your family, they take a lot of care and sometimes money but the rewards of owning a rabbit are huge! They can become your best friend.

That is fab, Phill. I don't think it should be too much shorter. That amount of text should fit on an A4 page, which would be ideal to print out for people too.

Eve, I realise that your rescue is also your home, but could you arrange for people to come and meet your bunnies, and then send them away with that information to have a good think before they decide they still want a bunny.

Might be also useful to have info of sources of decent size hutches and runs, but local to you and online. Maybe you could organise a discount with a local supplier for people who are going to get a bun through you.

Rallybunny said:
That is fab, Phill. I don't think it should be too much shorter. That amount of text should fit on an A4 page, which would be ideal to print out for people too.

Eve, I realise that your rescue is also your home, but could you arrange for people to come and meet your bunnies, and then send them away with that information to have a good think before they decide they still want a bunny.

Might be also useful to have info of sources of decent size hutches and runs, but local to you and online. Maybe you could organise a discount with a local supplier for people who are going to get a bun through you.

hi laura is is really hard to know what to do when someone calls up asking for a bunny for the 2 year old, do you let them come all the way round and say "well i dont think its a good idea" and send them away again for do you explain the info over the phone?

i think what phil has written is great and will try it BUT i was wondering whether it would be better to have one liners type of thing, like a fact sheet as i said you would not believe how many people dont look past the available buns page :roll: :roll: :roll:

we sell hutches here and have a list of suppliers also and people still ring me and asl wherer they could get one :roll: :roll:

im still thinking of a way of condensing this info, i think it would be good if this was on your site and then on the main page a few bullet pionts and then click here for furthur info sort of thing???

Phill said:
im still thinking of a way of condensing this info, i think it would be good if this was on your site and then on the main page a few bullet pionts and then click here for furthur info sort of thing???

thank what i was thinking!

Back