• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New baby buns - we've been very bad...

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone. :no:

I went to a local wholesaler pet store today with my boyfriend to see if they had any a&p rabbit food, they didn't. But at the front of the store there was about 6 rabbits with a guinea pig in a shared enclosure. We said hello, and then I wandered round the store looking for the a&p whilst Chris talked to the (drunk) guy (about led zeppelin).

As we were leaving we looked at the rabbits again and there was an adorable black and white one that was super friendly and following us about as we wandered, so we stroked him. The petshop guy came over and was saying how nice and friendly they were and all that and then he was getting them out and showing us them. To be polite I asked for genders.

He picked up an agouti one and held it so it was all unsupported and :-(
Then he picked up the black and white one and dropped in, it hit the top of the cage and then fell back in. You'd think this was an accident but he did it to them all!! He then proceeded to tell us how when he gets in the new ones if there isn't enough room in the enclosure he's been releasing them out the back (it was on an industrial estate, with fields around it)

First we were good and went away, but then they tugged on our heart strings too much and Chris brought two of them. I know. Bad.
There in a temporary crate for now until he can get set up.

Anyway. Meet Bilbo and Puck, 10 week old crossbreeds.

Bilbo (got lionhead in him, any ideas what else?):
bilbo2.jpg

bun4-1.jpg

bilbo1.jpg

bun4.jpg

bilbo.jpg

bilbo3.jpg

Puck (dutchXenglish?):
puck.jpg

bun1.jpg

puck2.jpg

puck3.jpg

bun3.jpg

They get along very well at the moment but he knows they'll need neutering when they get older. Puck is super inquisitive and into everything and very friendly, but doesn't like being held.
Bilbo is very cuddly! They both lvoe hay.

They've had a little hop around the living room, I had to shut Molly in his crate which he wasn't happy about, he's really really interested in the babies. lmao.

What a horrible, horrible man!! :x :evil: :x I say well done for rescuing them! :D Such little cuties :love: :love: I hope they are very happy in their new home :mrgreen:

Releasing domestic animals into the wild is illegal under the Abandonment of Animals Act. However, it might be hard to prove he was doing it. I was contact the RSPCA and left them know what you were told/saw. Also the local council as they are the ones that issues petshop licences to have animals.

Tam

I would definately class that as rescueing. So don't feel bad that you bought them from a pet shop. I can't blame the poor little guy for not wanting to be picked up anymore.

My blood is boiling!! I hope someone drops him :twisted: :evil:

Thank goodness you got them and saved them!

I know we say not to buy then from petshops as it just makes more space for others, BUT when you're in that situation I don't think it would be easy to just walk away. I'm a coward and don't go near any petshops I know sell animals.
They are gorgeous bunnies and must be so happy to have been found by you.

yep thats why I dont go into petshops selling animals if I can really help it.!
Although hmmm I went into the one where I got her from yesterday and they had some baby mini lops absolutely stunning!!!
But they arent in such bad conditions there so its not so hard to leave them.

:( poor things, only problem is he'll get more in now to replace them :( He sounds like a horrible man, he shouldn't be allowed to sell animals. At least those two have a good home now.

It was hard to leave the others, there was a lovely mix rex doe who was very nervy with himi markings, I felt very sorry for her. :'( But he couldn't even get near her to pick her up and she was hiding under the others when a hand came near her.

The guy that served us doesn't own the place, so I don't think he's responsible for getting them in, he's just not educated on how to deal with them. Apparently the local farmer has been complaining that there are black and white rabbits in his fields, so at least they're surviving, for now. :-(

The babies are adorable, I might have to steal them. Bilbo sat in my lap for ages today and fell asleep. :) Whilst Puck is happy wandering about in laps and licking hands.

I wonder who supplies the rabbits? If they have a conscience they won't be very happy to hear their rabbits are ending up released into the wild for fox food :(

I agree with Tamsin..report him to the RSPCA and the local council what he is doing is dreadful and illegal....please let us know the councils response..or pm the details to me and I'll complain!

omg that sounds horrendous. These two will certainly get a better life now :D They are both gorgeous! No idea what they might be but very pretty :D hope he has sexed them right :wink:

Back