• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a run

JoF

Young Bun
We would like to build our run to go on the side of our new hutch (no bunnies yet). So I need to know, is there any wood I shouldn't use? Like they would chew it & it would harm them?

Also, is a 4 ft hutch going to be big enough for 2 small buns? It has two stories and the run will be a permanent attachment.

Jo

I made my own from my own unique design. Was a bit pants.

Dont think 4ft is enough. Bigger the better, especially if its going to be their only form of release i.e no garden.

Also dont forget to make it high as possible so they can stand up and periscope.

Just don't use treated wood as if they chew it they can get ill. I think there are preservatives you can put on wood that are animal friendly, but I'm not sure which. Good luck with it hun x

You may want to think about building the run around the hutch

This is Salt and Peppers' run. It's 6' square and 3' high and has two 3' hutches in it.
DSCN0840.jpg

It also has a lid which keeps them safe and is built on half concrete slabs, half mesh, which is attached to the rest of the run, so they can't dig out. The mesh was then covered with bark chippings.
DSCN0826.jpg

I used 2"x4" hardwood, and galvanised mesh.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully will be able to get the wood tomorrow, & then the bunnies!

pretty sweet run. Wish I had seen that for my jov, would have given some good ideas what to build. Mine was just an extension for the bottom half of the hutch that she could run around.

just a note on the wire, rabbits can chew through chicken wire, make sure you use the stronger galvanised stuff. 4ft seems a bit small for two, i had one dwarf lop in a 4 ft and it was kinda small for him, but he had the run of our patio which is huge.

Back