• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can they change colour

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
when dixy first arrived she was a very dark fluffy lionhead and now she has gone red :? :? :?

dixy when she first arrived slight red tinge :?

vanillapixieandjunior008.jpg

dixy living with bertie in the enclosure bright red :shock:

almondclover015.jpg

The first rabbits I had were jet black in the winter but after they'd moulted in the summer they turned quite a light brown :D

She's such a cute bun! :love:

Yeh the sun can change there colour, Milly is blue grey over winter but she goes kinda blonde in the summer

bunnylove said:
Phill said:
Yeh the sun can change there colour, Milly is blue grey over winter but she goes kinda blonde in the summer

blonde :shock:

Yep Blonde! i have no idea why i have pictures of her from last summer and she was blonde down her spine tops of her ears and nose

wow what a gorgeous colour, could it be something to do with losing the winter coat which could have been darker?

Black bunnies do tend to bleach to rusty red in the sun but that's quite a shade of red she's got going there :shock:

She's a stunner!
I noticed Pepper's ears have gone a nice reddy colour, and some of Bobby's grey is turning to beige.

I've got to be different, haven't I..... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Everyone elses buns go lighter in the summer, Candy hasn't. She's Agouti (sp), just normal everyday colouring, since she's molted all her underneath fur is really dark, almost black.

She looks very strange at the moment :lol: :lol:

Tamsin said:
Black bunnies do tend to bleach to rusty red in the sun but that's quite a shade of red she's got going there :shock:

i dixys case no she hasnt had a moult, do long haired rabbits moult? :?

I sometimes think its harder to spot a molt in a long haired rabbit. My lionhead used to just go from thick to thin fur and back again without any obvious molts or 'tide marks'!
A lot of black buns turn 'chocolate' in the summer months, my first ever rabbit used to be black in winter but had choco/red sides in summer. Its not really got a lot to do with sun, its genetics and keratin in the fur :D

Back