• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.Cuniculi help..

The bun I had with it drank excessively but didn't have weight loss. As your bun been diagnosed with Ec

No its not for me

I'm talking to Karly, she's just asked whether you can only have weightloss

Hi Gem

Yes, a bun with EC can just present with weighloss. However, there are numerous other reasons for weightloss eg Pasteurellosis, Dental probs, a neoplastic disease (cancer) Kidney disease.
Best thing is to get Bun checked over by a Vet

Janex

Thanks for posting this Gem!
Just got back from the vets with Joey. Didn't see the vet who saw Joey yesterday or the one who did the dental but he's another good vet who I often see.
I discussed him with the surgeon who did his dental this morning over the phone and she's concerned that the weightloss could be due to a buildup of fur in his stomach, as both him and Nina are doing a continious moult type thing, rather than tufty moults which I can tug out.
She said his tummy felt a bit doughy, hence her concern of the above. She said she couldn't feel any masses though, and nothing to suggest tumours.
He had a blood test before his dental incase of kidney or liver problems causing the weightloss but they came through clear.
After chatting a bit with the other vet this evening, I've got Panacur to treat Joey and all the other bunnies incase Mary's weight loss/wetting of himself episode a while ago was due to EC (as he got better after a month of Panacur, but this may have been a coincidence :?) and the offchance that this is what's making Joey poorly.
He had a dental as he did have sharp spurs, but the surgeon couldn't see any signs of ulceration or digging in to the cheek or tongue, so shouldn't have stopped him eating, and I've not noticed him eating any less than usual, and his poos have been fine (though perhaps a little bit smaller than usual, but same colour and firmness)
I'm going to bring him and Nina indoors for the next couple of nights so I can monitor his eating and let him recover from the GA, he's apparently been eating Science Recovery out of a bowl so will continue that, as well as making sure he drinks plenty and give him some leafy greens to hydrate his gut incase it is a 'hairball' as such. Fingers crossed this'll all do the trick!

Back