• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

CRIKEY

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
just booked Jazz in for yearly jabs (on friday) and they have told me it will cost £30 for the 2.... i swear thats more expensive than last year... what do you think am i paying to much? :?

i get my myxi jabs for £6 each :: hides :: i love my vet... :D and the VHD is £8 if i want it... but i dont get that done anymore... :cry:

i had some horrible reactions to it last year...nearly lost 3 rabbits as a result, two went bald... ones infertile and the only people i know whove been affected by vhd vaccinated ::) so i decided it wasn't worth putting my rabbits through that. stopping myself from showing for 6 months when they can still be affected just as bad... i know the myxis not 100% but it doesnt' have a negative impact on the rabbits... plus as mine are related the chance is they'll have the same resistance to it.. so my vet agreed that its proabably best not to get them done... (id get some of my pets done that didnt have a bad reaction... but if one of them caught it it wouldn't make a difference.)

and my vet comes out to do it, so i dont have to stress the rabbits by taking them to the surgery :D

Becki i really would advise you to have the VHD done, it's 100% effective and beleive me you loose one bunny to it you will loose the lot! Rabbits don't have a natural immunity to VHD they have a slight immunity when there born but thats it.

my vet is quite cheap, i think they are about £10 each, which is good because i live in such a high risk area!!

£16 each in Pets @ Home here in Luton, not bad for the safety of your rabbit but considering some can do for £6 then yeah, they charge a fair whack.

Still, cheaper than the jabs for cats and dogs ;)

Think my vet charges about £15 for each jab.

Jazzy - I always see wild bunnies on the grass verges as you come into Plympton on the roundabout bit as you come off the A38 (I was there last night and there were LOADS :) ) - they look fine this year so far, but last year loads of them had myxi, so make sure you keep your bunny's jabs up to date. :(

I pay £40 for mine to have both vaccines (including VAT). I think it's way too expensive.

AMETHYST

I love my vets but I think next time I need jabs I'll get them done elsewhere! There's no reason why some places charge £15 and some £28+!

I paid £34 on Saturday when Radar had his Myxi, but that covers his VHD in 2 weeks too :( It was a new vets and was slightly more expensive than the old vets...

Back