• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help fluffy bunny mums

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
had a stray bun come in today in a terrible matted state .
hes a lionhead and has either been living wild for some time or HAS BEEN HORRIBLY NEGLECTED .
HIS FUR IS LONG AND VERY BADLY MATTED . ITS BEYOND BRUSHING OUT AND WE HAVE TRIED CUTTING IT BUT EVEN THIS ISNT MAKING A DIFFERENCE . WE ARE SCARED OF CUTTING THE POOR BUNS SKIN AS IT IS DIFFICULT TO SEE WHERE SKIN STARTS AND FUR ENDS . :cry:

ANY TIPS FOLKS :cry:

OOOPS SORRY FOR SHOUTING CAPS LOCK ON :oops:

Angie

SORRY CANT HEAR YOU CAN YOU SPEAK UP A BIT ANGIE!! :lol:

If the coat has actually formed felts then apart from having him clipped out under GA by your Vet all you can do is take tentative snips into the felts usind round ended scissors. It will probably be a proceedure that needs to be tackled in several attempts over a good few days.
If the Bun is very nervy and the felts are really bad I think a GA/Shave/Clip might be the best option.
Sometimes very densley matted felts can be gently pulled out. But if firmly attached then clipping will be needed.

Janex

I agree with Jane, if you can't cut through the felting and matting, it's best to get it shaved and if he's very nervous, under GA, he will feel so much better afterwards!

He has a mat of fur all felted together as big as my hand . it covers all his back end . He has loads of slightly smaller mats all over , even under his belly.
we ve managed to get some of the smaller ones off but the bigger ones are beyond our skills im afraid .

bet he s never been brushed poor boy.

Poor bunny. :cry: Definately needs a vet visit. They're trained on how to clip bad cases like this, and if they need to they can sedate him to prevent him from wriggling and hurting himself. I wouldn't touch mats like that myself because it's hard to tell where the fur ends and the skin begins.

I have known others who've had to have rescued bunnies shaved due to mats. Stressful but necessary, and works like a charm.

My vet uses professional razor to shave any matted fur. As we all know, the matted fur has to go for the skin to breathe. And what she did is she trace the surface of the body and use the razor to slice along the surface.

In the end, all you need is a powerful razor, like the one hairstyler uses. I need to do some degree of shaving to my last rabbit, and to cut down her nervousness, I just do it a bit at a time, each day. Besides, the razor get over heat after a while, so I have to stop.

Rudy who Loopylop as came in like that to me, but somebody had already had a go at trying to cut out the mats but with no success. I just persevered with him doing it myself and if anything it made him bond with me (no where the bond he as with Laura though :lol: :lol: ) I was like you and didn't want to stress him out.
Good luck

Yeah, get him shaved soon as poss!!! He'll feel much better! And it would be awful if the poor little mite got flystrike brcause his hairs dirty and matted. :(

Back