• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What age do they stop growing

caritas2006

Warren Scout
Twinkle is 3 months old today she doesn't seem to be growing much any more

Also do you think she is a mini lop or a dwarf lop I was told she was a mini lop but i am not sure anymore the more i look at photo's the more confused i get doesn't help that in US mini lops are dwarf lops and and the smaller version are holland lop

2222222222.jpg

Awwww how cute. She looks more like a dwarf lop to me, minilops tend to have much flatter noses and the ears are a bit of a different shape. She's probably still growing and you just haven't noticed as it has slowed down a bit. I think they keep growing until 6-8 months or so, although it does slow down towards the end.

You can see the typical difference in shape here (although obviously there will be some variation depending on how 'purely' bred they are).

Nomad (minilop)
c4b065a4.jpg

Heather - the harlequin coloured one (dwarf lop)
7e021307.jpg

Dwarf lops stop growing at about 8 months, but the most obvious growth is when they are younger. Some will even keep growing beyond this.

I think she might be a cross as she has the head of a dwarf but the fur of the mini

Not that it matters to me at all she is still the best rabbit i have ever had :p

Aww she looks lke Nutmeg and she huuge! (well bigger than my dutches and to me that's huuge :lol: )

Nutmeg is a dwarf lop and I think she's just stopping growing (I hope) as she's nine months old.

I guess the easiest way to tell would be to weigh her.. altho that wont help greatly til she's stopped growing :wink:

AlisonA said:
Awwww how cute. She looks more like a dwarf lop to me, minilops tend to have much flatter noses and the ears are a bit of a different shape. She's probably still growing and you just haven't noticed as it has slowed down a bit. I think they keep growing until 6-8 months or so, although it does slow down towards the end.

You can see the typical difference in shape here (although obviously there will be some variation depending on how 'purely' bred they are).

Nomad (minilop)
c4b065a4.jpg

Heather - the harlequin coloured one (dwarf lop)
7e021307.jpg

Awwwwwwww!!!!! NOMAD!!! :love: :love: :love:

Nomad says hello :wave: He's been indoors sitting on my lap, purring away as I scritched his ears earlier, awwww. He loves having the back of his ears rubbed, I'm sure he could sit there for hours and fall asleep! I did go to get some more photos but the camera decided to break :roll: So I've got a few on my phone but it'll take me a few days to download them.

awwwww! I'm so glad he's happy :D he used to make me laugh with his buzzy humming noises, Nomad could buzz and hum louder than Storm, and he's a big Frenchie :shock: :lol: no wonder Storm got so wound up :?
I would love to see more pics of him :D from the last ones you posted he looks so much healthier and happier. I was amazed how much weight he put on over the few days he had with me :shock: he really can eat for England :lol:
Thanks for making him so happy :D

He does seem a lot less stiff now :D My vet is back from hols so I'm popping him up for a thorough MOT tomorrow evening, I'll let you know how it goes :D

found out today that twinkle is a type of lop that i hadn't heard of a French Lop they seem to be a bit bigger then a dwarf will have to go researching

...a BIT!! French lops are HUGE they grow upwards of 5kg, if Twinkle is a french lop, she will either need to be totally free range or have her own shed sized accommodation, as hutches and cages just aren't big enough!!

I'm not sure she's french lop shaped (or sized), although it's hard to tell from the photo - who was it that told you she's a frenchie?

there was a photo of a french lop in the book that was spitting image of Twinkle but after researching French lops for a few moments i don't think that is what twinkle is or the one in the book

The book was american is there any chance we might call them something different I will scan the photo in the book and post it on here later

scanned the photo from the book

this is the one that made me think it was a Frenchie

flop1.jpg

This is the same rabbit better photo

frabbit.jpg

I never had this problem with dutch rabbits you can tell them a mile off
:roll: :p

Im pretty sure an isabella lop is the colour which is the blueish fawn colour. Id say your bunny is an agouti or possibly a cross of agouti and sooty fawn colour. Probably a dwarf lop or a cross altho its hard to say until she is full grown. :wink: She's very pretty tho :D

Hate to disappoint you, but I think that Isabella is a colouring, not a breed of lop!!

Where did you get her from? If she's from a pet shop/garden centre type place, chances are she's a dwarf lop :wink:

Or a dwarf lop cross as I doubt they breed for show so they won't look like show dwarf lops (or any lop)

Settled it once and for all my dads mate who used to breed and sell rabbits when we had a market in Norwich came round to see her and says she is definatly a mini lop which is what the guy told me when i got her i just expected a mini lop to be smaller then it is

Thanks for all your help

Back