• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Humphreys not eating Properly

Jem

Young Bun
I've just got 2 rabbits, one Humphrey is not touching his rabbit food, he'll eat hay and straw and hoovers up anything green we feed him but his super rabbit excel is left abandoned in his bowl. His sister rosie scoffs hers down in no time but I'm getting quite worried he's going hungrey.

Any ideas, I'm planning on getting a bag of rabbit mux/muslie from the petshop on the way home tonight in the home he'll prefer that. He was fed on rabbit pellets by the breeder and i assume he ate them fine but he was kept in with his sister so it's difficult to tel. Any advice on how to get him eating properly. I'm especially worried as he's going in for the chop on friday and I know it's improtant for a rabiit to be fed before that.

Thanks

Jem

Personally id carry on trying the pellets he is used to.. introducing a new feed could mess up his digestive system. Is he pooing ok? As long as he is eating plenty of hay and some green veg he should be ok. How much do you feed him of the pellets and veg? Ideally they should only be fed a small amount anyway with a small selection of veg.. the rest of the time they should be eating hay/grass

Yes, I agree to continue with the diet he is on at the moment. It doesn't matter if he doesn't eat the pellets as long as he eats plenty of hay and some veg. Do tell your vet though to check his teeth when he is under as this could be a possible reason for him not eating the pellets.

Vera

I give them as much hay as they want, pretty much a constant supply. I've also kept the food bowl full so they can eat as much of that as they'd like and I give them a bit of green in the evenings though thats limited. I'll limit the amount of feed i give them now though and I'll get the vet to check his teeth.

Thanks for the advice.

As long as he's eating something he'll be fine, if he was hugry he'd eat the pellets. Some people just feed their buns hay and veg so he should be fine as long as he has no other symptoms of illness.

Probably be healthier in the long run on just lots of hay and some veg - that's what rabbits eat in the wild - they don't get excel!! :D

Just keep offering a little bit of his dry food - if he doesn't eat it don't worry unless he loses weight. :D

You done something you are not suppose to do. If you suddenly change a rabbit diet by switching to a different brand name of pellet, his stomach can't get used to it and the sudden change of diet can kill him.

You are suposed to get the original diet that he was eating at the breeder and mix it with:

week 1: 70% old pellet, 30% w/ your pellet
week 2: 50 - 50%
week 3: 30% old pellet, 70% your pellet
week 4: 100% your pellet

make sure your brand name pellet is Extruded Type

Go back to your breeder and ask him for a bag of his brand name pellet

He is on the same stuff he was on at the breeder, i can only think he wasn't eating it there either, maybe he's just fussy. I deffinatley get the teeth checked out though, he has been chewing some wood though (unfortunatly some of the furniture) so they're probably OK.

Thanks

Jem

Back