• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring...

LurcherGirl

Mama Doe
I am trying to figure out what the best flooring would be in the animal room. I currently have carpet tiles in there, which I am replacing regularly as they get soiled. The problem is that because so many bunnies use the same areas to exercise, litter training is almost non-existent outside their cages. I don't mind that and I know the reason for it, so don't worry about it. But carpet is a pain to clean and I just don't have the time to shampoo it every day or even weekly... So I am looking into flooring which is easier to keep clean and yet is comfy for the bunnies.

I have been thinking of putting vinyl flooring down, but feel that the bunnies won't have a proper grip on it and won't be able to run and binky around...

A wooden floor or laminate is not an option for the same reason and also because wood is not easy to keep clean either.

What type of flooring do other people have that is comfy, safe and yet easy to clean?

If there is no alternative, I shall just keep cleaning the carpet and keep changing really soiled carpet tiles... :?

Vera

i know some people have mentioned lino tiles before.. they sell them pretty cheap in Wilkinsons as well as other places.. maybe you could then gradually replace the carpet tiles. Im sure they would soon get used to the new flooring then :wink: and certainly eaiser to clean up puddles :wink:

It would be expensive, but what about a non-slip type of lino that is used in commercial kitchens - they probably do a similar version more suitable for domestic use?

perhaps you could use lino, but put something like huge dust sheets used for decorating over the top which have a coarse texture so will be easy to grip.

When it comes to cleaning you can just shake the poos off and pop the sheets in the washing machine.

i found the easiest flooring for the buns are tiles, ceramic or otherwise, we have these in the bunny room and there great! We have lino in the kitchen and laminate in the living room and Although Scarlett and Oakley are fine on these Stitch wont leave the porch as he slips!

My two both run around on laminate. Twix was scared at first but now they love to slide over it.

I have a rectangle of cut-off cord carpet in a corner where their litter trays are to lie on

There are some types of non-slip vinyl and laminate out there. I found this fab stuff for my bunny room that's been fooling everybody into thinking it's wood. It has deep grooves along the "woodgrains." My buns won't go in my slick laminate kitchen at all, but they binky and race across this stuff. We're going to use it in the living room too once we have money, and then put down a large area rug. I have multiple bunny groups too, and their marking wars are killing the floor in there!

I did find a bunch of stone-looking nonslip laminate at the more expensive stores that my buns probably would have been fine with too. I was lucky and found my vinyl cheap at a home improvement store. :D

We have a laminate floor and the bunnies do fine on it, but prefer rugs. We bought a couple of rugs designed for dogs that have a non-slip rubber backing. That way they have a binky-able surface that can be washed easily (they're fully machine washable at 40 degrees), but we still have the benefits of a wipe-clean laminate floor.

AMETHYST

Back