• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help rabbit attacked my dog

willowflower

Warren Scout
hey
i posted on thursday saying dillion had is op
he is ten times more vicious now. he has ripped my dogs face to shreds he's at the vets getting stitched up.

i sooo dont know what to do. i really want to be able to keep the rabbit but i'm so out of ideas. i had hoped to get him a female companion after he healed from his op but dont think this would be wise.

any suggestions would be more than appreciated

leonna x

oh my goodness.. so sorry to hear that.. i hope your dog is ok.
Im sure someone will be able to give you some advice soon.. i really dont know what to suggest, other than to keep him separate from your dog for a while. hopefully its just a temporary bad mood :?

must be a small dog, usually it's the other way around. There is no real magic on this, it's up to ea. animal to get along w/ the other.

You can separate them in each of their rm., and when you are home, put them together and if they fight, you spray water at them.

I would make sure that your dog and your rabbit are NEVER in the same territory again, supervised or not!!
Very sorry your dog was injured. Acting as defence counsel for Bun I'd say that he was frightened by the dog and used attack as his first line of defence.
There is no reason to assume that he would do the same with another RABBIT (DOE!!) After his op' he will have been feeling vulnerable and hence his defence aggression will be heightened. At the end of the day he is a bunny and is tuning in to his natural 'survival' behaviour.
I think the Bun needs a calm environment away from the sight and smell of all other animals (dogs, cats) Once he has recovered from his op' maybe you could contact a Rescue near you and see if they offer a 'dating service' for Bunnies.
I honestly dont think you have a 'nasty' rabbit. Just a confused frightened one.

Janex

I hope your dog is ok. As regards it being a small dog doesn't really matter as I had a rabbit board with me that attacked my labradors leg poor dog just sat there bewildered. But I kept them seperate after that as I didn't want my dogs to start going for the rabbits as they lived in perfect harmony with them.
It may just be a hormone thing but I would keep them seperate, he may also be a different bun once he gets a friend.

I read the topic backwards and thought your dog attacked your bun. Poor puppy! I hope he gets better soon!
As for bun, he'll probably calm down once all the 'excitement' is over i.e vets trips etc.

thing is my dog is a x alsation and very friendly i keep them seperate but door wasn't on latch properly so dillion pushed it open and went looking for my dog.

poor sam tried to run away but dillion flew at the back of him (was like something out of a horror film) when dillion latched on i had to use all my strength to prise him of.

i'm proud of my dog though he never tried to defend himself once
which i am thankful for or situation could have been much worse.

leonna

Do u mean neuter?

Is your rabbit male and just been in to be neutered? Can't say for def with dogs, but I had my 2 boys done about 8 wks ago as they were fighting. the vet told me it should be about 3 weeks anyway before I attempted to put them together again, as it takes a while for the testosterone to die down. It's not an instant thing. I stupidly thought I'd try them in the garden for 5 mins after 2 weeks, as they must be lonely, but they instantly flew at one another again. It's only been the last week or 2 I've been able to begin reintroducing them again, as I was witnessing aggressive behaviour when 1 went near the others run, so it may just be too soon for then to be in contact? Or maybe it is just because it is a dog and is different to him.

Years ago on an animal behaviourist show, it featured two boxers and a rabbit. The dogs were petrified of this male rabbit as he would latch onto their balls and they would wimper when he was anywhere near. The behaviourist immediately had him neutered and it ceased. Good luck

i think you'll find he may calm down- i've heard on here before about buck's behaviour getting worse before it gets better after a neuter.

i remmber when we had mitzi (male bun) neutered and soon after his op he seemed even more vicious with me like he was angry, it can take a month for them to calm down after the op

lisa

thanks for the help
dillion seems like a different rabbit already i saw an almost instant result he'll let me pet him and feed from my hand but he wont let anyone or anything near me. he keeps attacking my mum. is he protecting me or is he jealous of the attention a pay to my mum.?

i'm really at my wits end although i get on better with him now he wont let people in the front door.

leonna

Back