• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

( PLEASE HELP US ) my bunsta has HEART DISEASE! ( ADVICE)

baby boi minx

Young Bun
hiya.
we have just been to the vets with my 14 month old
french lop rabbit, his stomach has been getting bigger
and bigger. I adoped him 7 months ago. he was given
allot of junk food before he came to me. the vet has
told me that he has fluid in his abdomen. we have been
told it could be his heart or a tumor. he is having an
ultrasound in the morning.
His tummy is huge and when he lies down he looks VERY
ABNOMAL he finds it a struggle to run around, although
he is eating and drinking well. he lives indoors with
us.
could this be a serious health problem. the vet
indicated to me that medication may halp but his long
term future is unclear. i dont want him on medication
and the side effects unnecerally. what can i do!

THAT WAS THEN... THIS IS NOW...
( NEXT DAY)...

The ultrasound shows that minx has a heart defect, and the fluid build up has been drained, they managed to drain 1 litre of fluid!!! We are very lucky that he has not gone in to shock. The vet said that he was very lucky to have survived with all that fluid as she said... " i am surprised he has lasted this long without treatment" and that he looks very happy and energetic. they are going to do blood tests to rule out liver and kidney problems. We are are treating him with......... to keep the fluid down. can you suggest any special diet to help him, instead of dry mix?... can you give any sort of life expectancy??? And side effects from the drugs? any extra information you can give me with me highly appreciated.

ENY ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE ME WILL BE GREAT!!! Wink Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Question

This is the diet I would keep him on: rabbit pellets, horse oats, timothy hay, and dry toast. No veggies or greens, you don't want him to get diarhhea and have another problem side to this.

If he is acting normal and energetic, you never know. He might be fine. Just hope and pray... I'll do the same for him. Keep your hopes up!

--Kiya--

Back