• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bleeding bunny mystery

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
Hi all
My bunny Joon has a a problem that i can't figure out and wondered if anyone had encountered a similar problem
. A few weeks ago i found blood on the floor of her house and it was also around her bottom. I took her straight to the vet and he said it was definately coming from her rectum and there seemed to be a tiny opening where it was coming from. otherwise she was in very good health and eating normally, after a few days the vet checked her and said it looked much better. It has happened a couple of times since but in the last few days it has been more frequent. She has also been producing droppings with fur in and wondered if these may have made it open up again. My vet is totally puzzled by this and has never seen it before. i have read of a condition they can get but there is normally a cauliflower looking tumour. I am taking her to the vet again to see if we can see anything else.
any thought?

It could have burst a blood vessel as Poppy my giant bun was urinating blood and after antibiotics for a infection (which it wasn't) she had had Xrays which turned out that their was nothing wrong inside except that she had burst a blood vessel around the vulva. Hopefully it will be something as simple as this.
I have my fingers crossed for you Lisa.

I'm sure the blood is coming from the anus and it is never in the litter try but always on the paper somewhere else. So it doesn't seem to be happening when she is going to the toilet. It doesn't appear to be in her urine and she has been neutered.
It just seems to happen now and again. She's not bleeding today so i didn't take her to the vet, thought it best to take her when she has bled so hopefully there will be more to see. She's never bothered by it and as she is a very scared rescue bun so I don't want to take her to the vet unless i really have to.

Thanks Kay, a blood vessel..I shall ask my vet about that. Did you have to do anything for this or did it sort itself out?

It just sorted itself out. But if it happens again then I have to take her in straight away so they can xray her immediately to see if it is coming from anywhere else. I know what you mean about the litter tray as Poppy never did it in the litter tray it would be while she was playing about or just sat somewhere, really strange.

My old bun Bilbo got bleeding from his bum and used to strain when going to the toilet. If she is straining it might cause blood. It turned out that Bilbo has some strange kind of tumour in his bottom, the vet had never seen anything like it before :? it was a longish polopy tumour which was removed but kept coming back. This was making him strain :(
I hope you can find out the cause and make her better

Kay..yes it just seems to be whilst she's not doing anything particular. Last night it was while she was eating and she just carried on munching!!

Sparkle fairy..thanks, yes i have read about those tumours and this is what i thought it might be but we can't see anything obvious and by the sounds of what you have said we should be able to!
main thing at the moment is it isn't bothering her so I'm keeping a close eye on her and if the bleeding gets heavier then we might have to put her under anisthetic and have a good look, fingers crossed we won't have to.

Back