• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Derbyshire County Show

Nicola C

Mama Doe
Hi all,
I jut wanted to share a few thoughts with you all today after I visited the Derbyshire show with my o/h today. It was good but a bit depressing as well. There were loads of horses and cattle and sheep and goats and show jumping events and stuff, but there was also a rabbit section and a cavy section. Of course I was desperate to go in and have a look, but when we walked round the boiling hot marquee's (sorry I can't spell that :oops: ), I saw that most of the animals in there didn't have any water at all. Some of them (especially the piggies) were really cooped up and had no space at all in their cages let alone any food or water. The poor things were absolutely baking and were being poked at and screamed at by all the children and looked over by the judges. I started making loud comments, and o/h dragged me away and wouldn't let me have a go at anyone :? I was so dissappointed. Is that what it is like at all rabbit shows? I would never put my little babies through that. I don't need anyone at a show to tell me that they are good looking rabbits, I know that already. I know some people on here show rabbits and I don't want to offend anyone, but I just felt really horrid after seeing those poor animals.
Sorry if I have opened a can of worms, but I had to let off a bit of steam.
Nicola x

Hi Nicola shame I didn't see you there we could've joined forces!!! We were there first thing and yes the bunnies were beautiful but in such small cages and some had no water,food/hay :shock: I was a bit vocal as we wandered round and got some dodgy looks! I feel awful as I wish I'd said something to an official but I didn't want to make a scene and embarass the girls (feel bad about it now :oops: ) I didn't go back in later I just hope things were ok for the poor buns :(

Hey Jayne,
I thought you might have been there, I should have called you this morning!!! :oops: O/h and I were debating for ages whether to go as it was £7 each and we are such cheap skates :oops:
It was good, but I did feel down when I saw those bunnies. The big chinnies we shaking with the heat and there were a few little ones like mine, which just made me feel so glad that mine were home in their run hopping around and eating grass and sitting in the shade. I wanted to take all those bunnies back with me :(
Oh well, lets just hope they are well looked after at home. I did overhear someone saying they had 50 plus at home and I couldn't help but think of her rabbits all cooped up and getting very little attention :?
Nicola x

I show occasionally in pet sections, but I won't take them if the day looks to be hot, we always go armed with food, water and hay

to be honest it is all down to the breeder wanting the rabbit in the absolute best condition no marks etc so that is why they don't give them food and water as they are awarded for the best " in each section".

The guineas tend to be given hay as that doesn't mark them.

But as for saying anything it wouldn't have made any difference as these are official cages and are the right size "supposedly"

That is why I used to hate showing yrs ago to me it is cruel and they get so hot and stressed it is so unfair

All rabbit shows run by the BRC are supposed to have water bottles on there cages, all the shows i go to everyone does and they have hay to eat, mine also have fans on the cages as well. Many people dont show in very hot weather.I would report this show to the BRC as theve made it plain that bottles are to be used. val

taylor v 109 said:
I would report this show to the BRC as theve made it plain that bottles are to be used. val

They decided that bottle must be used then?

Last I heard was that they hadn't decided :x :roll:

I think the agricultural shows are a bit different to the just rabbit shows as presumably they get a lot of members of the public (& their kids) just passing through. They're also in tents where as other shows tend to be in halls.

Yep, they were in tents, they were absolutely baking. Not good!! I wonder if I can still report it though.
Nicola x

When i showed my guineapigs it was a rainy day so it wasn't too hot, i put two water bottles on, two food dishes and a pile of hay for them to hide in, i put them in as late as they could so they didn't spend long in the cage, also i let them out for a long run afterwards, after all that they won! but sadly they have now gone to rainbow bridge R.I.P Matt and Harri

Back