• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nervous Bun

Melndan

Mama Doe
I hope someone can give me a bit of advice.

Honey has been with me a little while now, but still will not let me touch her.
She will come up to me now if I lie on the grass and nudge my hand, but as soon as I go to stroke her, she does a runner. I have tried tempting her with goodies which she will take from my hand, but she is always on edge and jumps if I move my hand towards her.

Now, I can live with her not being a fussy bun, I love her regardless, she is a darling, but I do need to bum check and at the moment it really stresses her out and she hates it as I have to sort of corner her in the hutch and then get hold ofher as quick as I can. I shall need to do her claws very soon but I just can't see it happening.
I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to get her used to me!!!

sounds like you are doing ok. Unfortunately not knowing what may have happened before you got Honey it may take her a long time to get used to being touched. My Nala has been with me over a year now but i still cant touch her.. altho occassionally i am allowed to touch her nose briefly, and especially if i have food on me. She will also come and sniff me and nudge me but is frightened of me touching her.. the bumchecks etc are also stressful for her altho once i have her on my lap she is usually relaxed. I just try talking to her lots and when i do get her on my lap i give her a little yummy something, and also hand feed her pellets at foodtime and sit on the floor so she can come sniff me etc.. just keep at it

Thanks . I shall keep on at it. Bless her heart!!!! I will try the treat while I do the bum check thing. She desperately needs a groom and I tried tonight with her, but it was a no go. Smudge enjoyed it tho :lol:

as i am having a few wee problems with Tallulah right now- I did a lot of reading about it all yesterday. One thing I read was that you should never corner them in their hutch or reach in to pick them out- this is there space and they need to feel safe there- it is apparently better to let them come to you- if she doesn't do that- then maybe pick her up if you have to from the run? if poss? not sure if this is helpful to you- just passing on what i have been reading- tallulah is a very nervous bun and it can be quite difficult when she always runs away if you fgo anyway near her- hope it gets better for you.

Hobbes is like that too, i've had him for 2 and a half years but he still doesn't like being touched. Occasionally he'll let you stroke him while he's eating. I've been lucky that his nails always stay short and his bum is always clean. He is normally well behaved at the vets though and will be examined :D

I fond it quite sweet at the vets that a bunny who normally won't come near you, snuggles up to you at the vets for comfort!
Bobby and Ruby are not cuddly bunnies at all, but they are slowly getting better, by me sitting with them, feeding them. Ruby will now tolerate a nose rub whilst she's eating, which she hasn't before.
Just keep it up, adn I'm sure it will get better.

Back