• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need a step by step...

nicole

Mama Doe
guid to bonding?

I kind of know the basics, but I want to be perpared.

I had the most horrid experience thring to bond 2 females.
I'v had nightmares thinking about it.

Can any one help or point me in the right direction.

This is probabley what you want to know, But My advice is stick em together and let them get on with it. I just stand and watch with a pair of gardening gloves on. xx

I'm really worried about the fighting bit.

I'll explain.

8 Years ago Carmel's partner Lilac died of GI.
Carmel stopped eating and I got worried, so I got her a new friend.

Advice I was given at the time was, disinfect the hutch and let them out on nutral territory. and if all is well put them in the hutch.

I did, it the kitchen. All was well for 5 hours, no fighting and they were eating and drinking out the same bowl, lying nex to each other etc.

Put them in the hutch, went to phone my dad (gone for 5mins).

Came back out and there was a trickle of blood down new buns ear.
Whipped her out the hutch, there was bite marks all over her.
Rushed to vets.

He said that the pink thing hanging out her side was a part of ther bowel, and because of all the bite marks he wasen't sure how deep they were of if they has punctured her lung.

I kept telling the vet that I did not care how mutch it cost just fix her, but he said she was badly bitten and I had to let her go.

So after lots of crying and blaming myself, I got her put to sleep.

I had her 8 hours, and she was the most gorgous bun I had ever laid my eyes on. (An orange rex.)

So you can see why I'm a bit nervous of doing this.

Thats really sad, i'm sorry to hear that.

Could you leave them on neutral territory longer. When I bonded mine i left them for 9 days, probably longer than necessary but i believe it helped.

Perhaps you could do it in the house so you can sleep in the room with them.

It was so long ago, and I'd just put it to the back of my mind, but now I'm thinking of getting Dougal a girlfriend it's brought it all back. It has upset me.

I'm so frightend it will happen again.

But I'll have to get over it as Dougal really needs company.

I understand why you are worried, but I am sure it'll be ok.

What is dougal's personality like? Perhaps you could pick a girl who will compliment him- ie) if he is quite fiesty then perhaps a girl who also wants to be dominant would be a bad idea.

Alternatively, could a rescue do the bonding for you? then Dougal could choose his own girlfriend.

Dougal is very quiet, likes to know what's going on all the time.

Does not chew anything!, and likes to follow my cats around.

I took Bracken to a rescue centre where he picked his new friend and they did the bonding for me.

I would take you rabbit to a rescue as they are the experts on this matter and let your rabbit do the choosing and them the bonding.

I was very worried about bonding Bracken, but it was stress free and painless for us both!!!

Thanx guys. I will take your advice and think about it.

I'm just terrible when it comes to my pets. I get so paranoid. :oops:

I have lost pets in the past and it hurts so much :(

I just want them all to be healthy and happy.

Back