• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding two boys-advice please!

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
hi guys, sorry to ask something that probably gets asked all the time! but i need some advice.

i have 2 single boys-both neutered, both a year old or over. i have been trying to bond them by putting them in a run and splitting it in two so they can sniff each other through the bars etc but not actually get to each other.

what is the next step? Stumpy has been absolutely fine towards Gabriel, and today we even witnessed him licking Gabriels eye through the bars!! Gabriel on the other hand has been slightly aggressive. he has scratched through the bars a few times-on top of stumpys head! :shock: and looks like hes tried to nip him a couple of times. he isnt too bad, doesnt go beserk or anything like that and does seem interested in Stumpy(and not just trying to hurt him! lol)

im really hoping this pairing works as both of them need a friend. so what is my next step?

Hi. I am no expert in bonding bunnies but I think bonding two unrelated Bucks is going to be tricky :?
Is Stumpy the Bun with an ear missing?
This will single him out as 'vulnerable' to Gabriel.
Are there other Bunnies around that the boys can see/smell. If so this will effect any bonding.
I would be concerned about putting them together if Gabriel is already showing aggression to Stumpy.
Hopefully some-one more experienced in Bunny Bonding will be along to advise you.
My 'Panic Threshold' is way too low!! :oops: :roll:

Janex

I'm bonding my 2boysd

Sorry the posts long :oops: but there's a lot of advice enclosed as I'm on the same situation now! I have 2 boys (they are brothers, but they have been apart for 8 wks after neuter so i think they may have forgotten that they know each other!), and I'm in the process of bonding them together.

They had a bad fight before they were neutered, (Harly ended up with a cut above 1 eye and got stitches whilst getting neutered).

I think giving them time after being neutered is important to allow the testosterone to die down, i tried after 2 weeks and it was too soon.

I then let them out together in the garden, they spent about 30mins fighting but not seriously, no blood shed, just fur pulling etc (there was a lot of fur!) but apparantly this is totally normal, and is just them establishing who is to be the submissive and who the dominant one.

I've had a lady from a Rescue talking me through, here's the advice she gave me - Split their run equally in half. Give them a litter tray each, and daily swap the tray over (do not clean every day unless there is flies, only do every couple), and swap their hutches a few times, so they get used to having one anothers scent in 'their' place. Finally, take them into a small area in your house which is TOTALLY neutral territory (I took mine into the bathroom), give them a cat basket each which are apart, and have food, water and toys there. Let them come out in their own time. If nervous, the first time you can even sit between them and stroke them, swapping hands. Excpect a scuffle - especially if 1 goes into the others basket, this is normal, if they are getting too bad or really hurting 1 another then you can split them apart gently, saying no, then let them get together again. Try and distract them with food and toys, and speak gently and quietly to them too calm them. Aim to have them in there for perhaps 15 mins the first day, depending on how well they get on, and build the time up gradually, you may even eventually leave them in their over night, just keep an eye on them regularly. After every time you do this make sure they get a treat - they should learn being nice together is a rewarding experience.

I did this with my boys for the first time a couple of days ago, I was beginning to think they'd always fight but there was no fur pulling, no aggession, nothing, not even when 1 went into the others basket, so i believe this method will work. I think slowly but surely is definatly the way to go - some people told me just to put them together and leave them too it, but 1 of them is likely to get hurt them.

When you do put them into a hutch/run together, make sure you move it to a new area of the garden that they haven't been at before, and thoroughly clean and disinfect it with animal friendly products to remove all traces or territiorial scent.

Hope this helps :D

Just to say, had boys in bathroom for second time today, again no probs - even some grooming of one another going on :D ! Sat with them for 45mins and when they were fine left them there for bout 2 and a half hours just checking on them, going for an overnight stop on thurs if all goes well tomorrow!

Back