• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why are some people so rubbish?

daisylou

Warren Scout
Obviously everyone on this website loves animals and I realise that not everyone has the same attitude however, I can't understand some people's complete disregard for other people's feelings.

Now, no one I currently work with cares about animals so I tend not to say much about them. On Monday I had to take my cat to the vet for some serious test and Poppy was returning for a check up.

I couldn't get all the test results on the Monday so was expecting a call from the vet on Tuesday. I told my colleagues that if the vet called I must take the call even if I was teaching. When someone asked who was in and I said Ambrose and Poppy another one turned round and told me I should get rid of them!!! I hadn't mentioned anything else - didn't speak about cost or anything.

After Poppy died on Wednesday I didn't go to work on Thursday, it seemed like poor Poppy was just the last thing I could handle in a huge pile of rubbish.

When I went into work on Friday not one of them said sorry or asked how I was.

Surely after 6 years of being somewhere you would think people would have the decency to be sympathetic.

No wonder so many people prefer animals when humans can be so thoughtless.

It's not even about them understanding my love for animals it's just about them realising that I have something that I care about deeply. It is one of the things that makes me me. And even with losing 2 bunnies in 2 months - I still wouldn't change who I am.

I could save so much money (to pay for vet bill) by not going to a retiral 'do' next weekend or buying a retiral present - but really that would just put me at their level.

Bojangles and I have decided to search for (another) new girlfriend for him. Maybe this time it will be third time lucky and he will find his forever friend:)

Louise and Bojangles

What a shame that the people you work with are so uncaring :(

It doesn't take 2 seconds to say 'Sorry about your pet' :(

I'm sorry things are so kack at this present time. I don't understand people who don't understand why we love our animals so much. Hope everything goes well for you in the future especially when you find Bojangles a new friend! Regarding everyone in your workplace: Stuff 'em!! :x :x

I'm sorry your workmates have been so insenstive.

TBH it actually makes me really furious to have mine and other people's grief dismissed, it doesn't take much to say 'i'm sorry about your rabbit'.
Some people just do not understand that we can love animals just as much as our human family.

Sometimes I choose not to tell people when one of my animals has died as I know I will often get a patronising 'oh thats a shame' or 'oh well'.

It is nice to come on here as people truly understand.

I hope you are ok xx

I am really sorry to hear about your work colleagues. What insensitive horrid people they are.

Mine are the same :(

I absolutely love animals (I am the only person who has animals in my office - a large law firm in London) and my two buns are my world. They just don't understand when I don't go for drinks after work with everyone because I have to get back to Kent to see to my bunnies (I work in London) and they often laugh about it and they don't understand or appreciate how much they mean to me. I live on my own and they are house bunnies so I am very close to them. So I understand what you mean.

Don't worry what they say (or don't in this case grrrr) you just have to think everyone is different and YOU are the more sensitive lovely, caring kind of person :)

x

I'm quite an obsessive animal person and I know some people I come across or work with think I'm strange but I don't give a monkey's.

I much prefer animals to people, I don't care what anyone thinks about me. I'm always suprised that many people have no compassion for animals, it makes me wonder what kind of human beings they really are, I'm talking about the... ''it's only a rat/budgie/cat'' etc people.

Rabswood

I also work in a big law firm and they all seem to find it amusingthat I have a rabbit...like it's not a real pet! I love my buns and all buns in the world as they are great fun!

Some people really are thoughtless... :evil: :evil:

I know exactly how you feel. The people where I work don't understand why I have rabbits. When I said I was getting 3 more they thought I was completely barmy - one of them even told me I shouldn't tie myself down with them :? At the end of the day it's my choice, just because they don't like animals it doesn't mean the rest of us don't!

It's so true when you say people think you are weird cos you have a bunny (or 60:))

It's like it is acceptable to have cats and dogs but rabbits are for kids (well, we know differently)

Even my vet! When he called to tell me Mossy had peritonitis (sp) and I broke down crying (in front of my class!!!!!!) he seemed shocked that I was upset. Now I know they have to have some detachment to be able to do their jobs but really that was taking it a bit far.

Louise and Bojangles (we have decided to get one or 2 new girls in the near future:))

I was furious at school once as my best friend's cat died, she'd had it since she was little and it grew up with her and she was devastated! Utterly distraught. She's very sensitive anyway, but this hit her extra hard and everyone was laughing at her for crying about it! Sick sick ********! I'm sorry about the language, but they make me so mad.
I don't tell people I keep pets and if I have to miss work/school etc for mourning for my pets I say a family member has died and leave it at that. They're my family, I'm sorry to say they affect my life far more than distant aunts, uncles, cousins etc. So I am far more affected if they fall ill. People should be at least sympathetic, even if they don't understand it themselves, they could at least say they're sorry for your loss.

It is good that we all understand each other here. I would rather have my big soft heart than the hard one that a lot of people seem to have. I cried for a whole week long ago when I lost my friend and baby... a budgie and when my Toby had to be PTS I thought I was going to die.

Back