• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Abcess

ladystardust

Alpha Buck
Sorry if that's spelt completely wrong.

I was talking to a student on my course, who says her rabbit has had an abcess and is more than likely to get them time and again for some reason.

It cost her £56 and she said "oh it's too much money, I may have to seriously rethink the situation and put him down?"

I mean is this acceptable? I feel somewhat dubious and worried. Sorry if I've made my feelings too public :(

Abcessess are horrible things and once a rabbit gets one they can recur quite frequently. Do you know if it was in the jaw area and possibly related to the rabbits teeth? If it was then it more than certainly will recur. I think the main problem is that an abcess does not necessarily form where the wound is. If a rabbit is bitten or wounded then the infection can travel anywhere in the body and form as an abcess. If this abcess is then removed and the cause, ie the entry point is not found then it will probably come back.
I think that now she has had one removed she will have to see if another develops - sometimes it can be a one off - and then take further advice from her vet.
If it was the jaw area then suggest she gets the teeth checked - the vet should have done this anyway. They can usually tell if it is connected to the jaw.
Just my opinion of course -

my boy Bob had a facial abcess which eventually led to his death, but he had many months of happiness from diagnosis to death- he was not in pain and was very happy.

I have heard of other rabbits recovering from them.
IMO the cost is not a reason for the person's rabbit to be pts.

loulouembers said:
Abcessess are horrible things and once a rabbit gets one they can recur quite frequently. Do you know if it was in the jaw area and possibly related to the rabbits teeth? -

It was on the jaw :(

Yeah she said it would more than likely happen again. I guess the dietry side of things will be difficult for him. Not sure what a rabbit could eat other than crunchy foods!? :oops:

Mandy said:
IMO the cost is not a reason for the person's rabbit to be pts.

Yeah I felt pretty awkward after she mentioned that. I mean why not take out insurance or something if the costs of vetinary care is a problem.

my rabbit Bonny got abcessesson her face, they came up over night so it took her to the vets and he said they were caused be her teeth. he said its a problem lots of bunnys have because of inbreeding. he said there were a few ways they could deal with them but they would always come back. i didnt want to keep putting her through that because she wasnt happy so i had her put to sleep. :(

Back