• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I....

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
Get my little Madam Gypsy to take her baytril??? :? I've tried squirting it into her mouth, which just made her go crazy and stressed her, I've tried hiding it in treats but she knew that something was wrong :? storm on the other hand didn't care and hoovered it up before I could take it away :shock:
She is a fussy little madam at the best of times, does anyone have any tips?

what feed she on? wait until she is really hungry ie... if you normally feed her in the morning feed her late at night and squirt it on there pellets, or mix it with juice ribena, or pineapple ect

when willow was on baytril i sqirted it on some raspberry leaves and gave him a few (some with some without) and he ate them all although he did leave the baytril ones till last

i might be wrong but i think ive heard a few people say mix it with a little apple juice to take the nasty taste away

Depending on her general weight (as the oats will make her gain weight), you could use it to mix with a few porridge oats, it works with mine - they know something is wrong but the porridge is so yummy that they don't care :lol: The other thing that works for me is letting it soak into a little slice of apple (score the apple so it soaks in) or squishing it into some broccoli.

Wrap a towel around her so she can't struggle then talk to her softly? :? thats what i do with my brothers kitten while worming her, she hates being handled.

I go for the wrap her in a towel, add a bit of honey to the end of the syringe no nonsense approach!
Baytril does taste FOUL (Yep, I have tried it :oops: ) so I think getting it in and over with quickly is the best bet.
Honey seems to disguise the horrible smell of Baytril too.
:D :D

Janex

Jane - why did you try it .... ?? :lol: :lol:

.... yes the towel approach is the best way. And putting them into a corner helps.

Good luck and keep at it :)

I've tried it as well, I wanted too see whether it really was as bad as the animals make out and yes it is :x

sparklefairy said:
Thanks for all your tips :D
Did I imagine it? or did they once do a bannana flavoured baytril for small furries?? :?

The 'nana flavoured one is SEPTRIN. I've tried that too :oops: :roll:
And Metacam, thats Honey flavoured :lol: :lol:

Janex

Beany HATED it too!! I had to soak it into broccoli - tried it mixed with a bit of juice or on fruit and she sussed it straight away, but ate it off broccoli :roll:

OMG it DOES taste GROSS!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: ( sorry had to make sure! :oops: :lol: )
I hid some inside a sugarsnap pea pod and it worked this time, but after she ate it she started shaking her head and licking her lips :lol: :lol: I don't think she will eat those again in a hurry!.
Why can't they make it taste nice? or give her an oral antibiotic that does? :?

Back