• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

using a nebuliser to treat pasturella - advice please

sylvarabbit

Young Bun
Hi, one of my rabbits - Wilhemina - has pasturella and I am considering using a nebuliser for her - does anyone have experience of this? Wilhemina makes a noise when breathing but her lungs are clear - the infection is affecting her upper respiratory tract. she is at the moment having ronaxan, tribrissen and bisolvon and I have olbas oil on her blankets to help her.
I have read that a nebuliser can be used to administer anti biotics but does anybody know what anti biotic? I have suggested this to my vet and he has asked me to research it and bring the info to him on tuesday to discuss it when I have an appointment for another two rabbits. Any past experiences would be really helpful - I want to do everything for my Mina, she is a very sweet rabbit and has been struggling with her noisy breathing for a little while now.
Thankyou

Hi

Are you in the UK?
The treatment protocol re nebulisation for Buns appears to differ depending which side of the Atlantic you are on!!

If the infection is DEFINATELY in the upper respiratory tract only (has this been confirmed by chest X-ray?) then administration of antibiotics and mucolytics is possible by either nebuliser or by intranasal drops.
Nebulisation is unlikely to be helpful if any upper respiratory infection is present as the discharge/pus within the upper respiratory tract is so purulent the meds cant penetrate it. Hence antibiotic injections are needed.
You would need to discuss with your Vet what antibiotics he/she feels might be appropriate if nebulisation is given. It would depend on what bacteria are involved. RTIs are not ALWAYS due to Pasteurella!
One thing to consider is that unless the Bun is nebulised within an incubator it can be a very stressful experience for them. Within an incubater the drugs can be nedulised through a sort of inlet thus avoiding the need to put a mask over Buns face. I doubt I would want a Bun of mine to be nebulised other than in an incubator as stress can just exacerbate the Pasteurella and cause GI problems.
If a Bun of mine had a confirmed upper respiratory tract infection which was not responding to systemic antibiotics (my Vet uses Co-Trimoxazole aka 'Septrin' and moves on to Penicillin INJECTIONS (Depocillin) if necessary) then I would consider requesting a trial of intranasal antibiotics.

Janex

I have a friend who uses a nebuliser on her bun with pasturella and she thinks it as done her some good. She attached it to a pet carrier and just but the bun in for 15mins twice a day.

Thankyou for your replies, I am in the UK and Wilhemina has had the upper respiratory tract infecyion properly diagnosed as pasturella - Mina is very used to having treatment ( she has been on meds every day for the last 8 months) so I think she will cope well with using a nebuliser. Do you know what medication your friend uses in her rabbits nebuliser? The problem seems to be what anti biotic is suitable for nebulising, some people use enrofloxacin in its injectable form but others say this can cause skin damage on contact to Im really confused!
Anyway thanks for your help so far

Thankyou for the link Jane, you mentioned that nebuliser treatment varies in the Uk from the USA - I can only seem to find info from the USA at the moment when I search through google, do you know of any Uk treatment options?
I have carefully considered how Mina might react to the nebuliser as I know thay can be noisy, placing them in a chamber sounds sensible although surely a pet carrier might let the medicated air out?! If Mina is at all distressed I wouldn't let her struggle on using the nebuliser but I am willing to spend the money and effort sorting it out for her even if I fail.
thankyou for your help
Kathryn & Wilhemina

I was refering more to the meds used in nebulisation rather than the actual nebuliser itself.
I have just had a look in Frances Harcourt-Brown's Book 'Textbook of Rabbit Medicine'. She only recommends nebulisation for LOWER respiratory tract infection. She recommends either systemic or intranasal antibiotics for UPPER respiratory tract problems.
I am wondering if adding an anti-inflammatory to your Buns med regime might help? Could the noisey breathing be due to inflammation of the nasal flares/URT aswell as to the accumulation of secretions?
Dont know, just thinking aloud :?
Janex

Back