• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please! Eye problem?? U/D Back from vets / 19:55 Help!!

xEMMAx

Warren Veteran
I've just been out to check on Jasper and noticed one of his eyes are half closed. I don't think I can see anything wrong with his eye, the other one is totally fine, it's just this one. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
I'm taking Clio to the vets on Monday, should I take Jasper along too?

Yes, I would take Jasper along. Could be his toothy-pegs. Or a blocked tear duct :?. Could you maybe explain a little more, Does it look like sleep sticking it together? xx

Ok here's some pictures!
This is the good eye...

j3.jpg

j1.jpg

And this is the bad eye...

j4.jpg

j2.jpg

Is this more clear? There's no sleep or anything, and he doesn't seem to be in any pain, still hopping around and being happy as per usual :D I'm just worried, I get really paranoid at the slightest little thing with my rabbits :? :oops:

Hiya,

Sophie had this quite recently, turned out to be conjunctivitis!

If you can't see anything in the eye, don't panic, but you will need a vet appointment as you will need eye drops if thats what it is!

Sophies eye was the same except a little more closed!

Ha, Sophie didn't mind them at all, she let me put them in real nice, they are quite thick and gooey (if you get the same ones!) - Sophie was fab for them and still loved me afterwards :D

Good luck xxx

Not only does your Bun look very much like my Murphy Bun but the eye problem looks similar too.
If you look very closely into the iris can you see a pinhead size yellowish dot?
Your Vet will be able to examine your Buns eye and I suspect the diagnosis may be Uveitis (inflammation of the blood vessels within the eye)
There are lots of reasons why this can happen and your Vet will prescribe appropriate treatment.
Do please keep us updated. I for one am very interested as our Buns are so very alike!!

Janex

Here is Murphy

Picture997.jpg

He has been on treatment for over a week now so his eye is not 'squinting' anymore but you can make out the little yellowish dot within it.

Janex

loopylop said:
Hiya,

Sophie had this quite recently, turned out to be conjunctivitis!

If you can't see anything in the eye, don't panic, but you will need a vet appointment as you will need eye drops if thats what it is!

Sophies eye was the same except a little more closed!

The same thing happened to my Millie last summer. :D She had a swollen eye which turned out to be conjunctivitis but after a few days of eye drops she was as good as new! If you have problems putting in the drops I found wrapping Millie up in a towel worked well. :thumb:

Thanks Jane :D I didn't see a dot, it was hard having a look, Jasper hates being picked up! Plus when I was trying to take pictures of it, it didn't help that he was only interested in licking the camera!! :lol: :lol: :roll: I'll check him again tomorrow.

They do look similar! I've never seen a dutch with their colourings before, now I've seen 2! :lol: I think they're lovely :love:

Is there any swelling under the eye? I had Tinkerbell to the vets on Wednesday as her eye was sore but there was no discharge or anything but it was slightly swollen and her cheek under the eye was a bit swollen. My vet unblocked her tear duct while we were there and their was a little puss that came out. She is on Fucithalmic eye drops and on baytril, she is fine and doing all the usual stuff that she does. Don't worry he'll be fine

Thanks Kay, no I can't see any swelling at the moment I don't think.
I shall find out tomorrow, 10:30am appointment. Another early morning! (well early for me lol)

bunny_burrows said:
If you have problems putting in the drops I found wrapping Millie up in a towel worked well. :thumb:

I didn't see this post before :oops: :lol: That sounds like a good idea, thanks :D

Was the sun in his eye? When I hold my rabbits outside, if the sun is facing one of there eyes, they'll have it half closed so it dosen't harm their eyes.

Star&Stone Rabbitry said:
Was the sun in his eye? When I hold my rabbits outside, if the sun is facing one of there eyes, they'll have it half closed so it dosen't harm their eyes.

I thought it might have been too sunny at first... but then I took him into the shade to look at him and it was still the same. Have noticed a little swelling under his eye this morning.

Vets in half an hour, hope all goes well :D Think the worst part will be putting his and Clio in the carrier together, I'm worried they'll start fighting! :?

Well we're back from the vet! :D All should be ok, he had a scratch on his eye, the vet gave me some eyedrops and I have to go back on Friday to check that it's ok.
They put this stuff in his eye and it went bright GREEN! :shock: :shock:

Look...
geye.jpg

Aww, poor Jaspie!
I now have 2 very stressy bunnies (Clio went in today for her VHD jab) :roll: :roll:
I put them both in the carrier together and was shocked at how well they got on! Going for a car ride really does help them bond! :D :D

The vet did that to Magic when he scratched his eye, it all came out of his nose :shock:

Are you going to keep them together now?

I'm glad its nothing to serious!

Back