• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and sense of "urgency"

If you have ever been in a situation where something has gone wrong and you need to pick your bunny up quickly or make it do something you will know what I'm talking about. Whenever I need to pick my bunny up he won't let me, he hates it. I've always been worried about things like "what if there's a fire" etc. My bunny recently was attacked by a dog and to get the dog to stop I had to pick the bunny up. He let me, I was expecting him to bolt because it was a very scary situation but he let me and he hid under my jumper for a good 10 mins before I put him down. The same things has happened recently, there was a dead mouse that my rabbit was trying to get to (i was freaking out) and I picked him up and he let me. My point is I swear rabbits know when you NEED to pick them up. When you've got an urgency about you and they go hay, something is not right here maybe she does need to pick me up. The dog attack might be an exeption but the bunny wouldn't know that there is anything wrong with sniffing a dead mouse but I think he could tell by the way I freaked out that something wasn't right and he just sort of froze. Doe anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Whne buns are really scared they will freeze, it may not be that he wants saving by you, but that he is so scared he can't physically move! But it's useful for us in these situations!

Yeah that what I mean about the mouse situation, he wasn't scared because he didn;t know what the problem was but was more reacting to me.

yes I know what you mean so totally....
Most times like to go back in her hutch she wont let me catch her she plays and then hides and does everything to stop me catching her....
but if something freaks her out, she will come running to me and paw me til I pick her up.
She does that to when shes really tired and wants to go back in her hutch to sleep.

I'm sure they do know us and trust us, and when they feel the need for security they will turn to us, or at least let us pick them up even if normally they hate it. My old people hating Shadow rabbit that used to jump out from under the bed to bite ankles surprised me a few times by literally jumping into my arms when she was frightened. I was quite touched by that.

doorkeeper said:
I'm sure they do know us and trust us, and when they feel the need for security they will turn to us, or at least let us pick them up even if normally they hate it. My old people hating Shadow rabbit that used to jump out from under the bed to bite ankles surprised me a few times by literally jumping into my arms when she was frightened. I was quite touched by that.
Millie and Ruby always try to jump into my arms at the vets when they are being checked over. Once Ruby even burrowed her head into my coat! Although I hate it when they are frightened it's quite nice to know that they turn to me when they are scared. :D

I've heard before that if you stamp your foot on the floor (like rabbits do when they are scared) then your rabbit will freeze so you can pick them up. That would be helpful for an emergency but I've never tried it before so I don't know if it works!

Yeah I know what u mean!

A day not long ago myself and my partner were out in the garden, and Honey was out for a run. Normally when they're in the garden they take the mick and want a bit of a chase before you put them back as they just don';t want to go in! I was doing something inside his hutch, with the roof open, and a gust of wind caught it and shut it on my head, which was sore enough as it's pretty heavy, but also making me bang my face on the side, split my lip and make my tooth bleed. I just ran into the house crying because of the shock, my partner followed me in and I cracked up because he'd left Honey out because he was so quick following me in, he said he didn't Honey knew something was wrong and just came over and let him pick him up and put him in He's never done that before or since!

Back