• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about Rowan:***Update she has given birth***

hunnybun

Mama Doe
Most of you will know Rowans story.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=22903&highlight=

The newborn litter she came in with are 4 weeks + 3 days Rowan didn't look right the last couple of days! and I suspected she may be pregnant!! she was with the father of the babies for several hours after they were born, before they came to my rescue, now this morning she has been making a nest :cry: surely it can't be a false pregnancy while she is still nursing? Oh I feel so sad for her, she is already frail and has had enough I am sure :cry: the next few hours will tell I suppose.

i have/had the same with piipa, she is practicaly bald through nest making and now looks so thin for feeding eleven babies despite feeding her as much as she can eat, and she can eat! :shock:

do hope shes not pregnant again its such a worry!

Oh no Kareen, what next?? That poor doe :( Thank goodness she is with you now and can be looked after properly :) Keep us updated... :?

If any of you need spare wool for your does let me know as I've just clipped my angora! There's a huge bag of the stuff, if you pop it in the microwave for a few seconds it will kill her scent off and then you can rub it in the dirty corner to take on mums scent (or rub it down her back etc)

Might be best to give her some space, being a mum is stressful no matter how 'natural' the whole process is. God help wild rabbits, they must continuously be giving birth!
When my doe was with a litter, I'd put her in a run during the day so she could graze and have a break (I knew when she fed so it was ok to do this)

The place I went to the other day to 'rescue' my angora was hellish, female buns left in with males, females with 8+ babies in a 2ft by 2ft cage. I felt like crying.
Rowan will be ok just make sure she's eating and is comfortable, there isn't that much more you can do.

I ACTUALLY put the babies in the run (there 5 weeks) and open the hutch door and let mum have a run in the garden for a couple of hours, so she can see her older babies and go to her nest if she needs to and let her have a god run as they are cooped up more with lots of bunnies, she LOVS IT binkies everywhere just have a slight problem getting her back in sometimes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i was just up at kareens and think rowan was having the babies while i was there.. .poor bunnie. she must be so tired!

Kareen ill have all the bunnies home with me to give rowan a rest! lol

You actually caught her giving birth? That's quite rare! She must be knackered to give birth during the day, they try to hold on until nigthtime usually (unless they feel very comfortable with you around)

She has had 6 babies that I know of! two were dead :cry: now she has two at 8 weeks 5 at 4 weeks and maybe 4 or more newborn :cry: she ate porridge oats out my hand while she was sitting in the nest.

hunnybun said:
She has had 6 babies that I know of! two were dead :cry: now she has two at 8 weeks 5 at 4 weeks and maybe 4 or more newborn :cry: she ate porridge oats out my hand while she was sitting in the nest.

make sure you count them properly, dont want to be like me and wonder if there was a sixth has gone to! :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

raven_guest said:
You actually caught her giving birth? That's quite rare! She must be knackered to give birth during the day, they try to hold on until nigthtime usually (unless they feel very comfortable with you around)

Rowan seems to completely trust me :D and knows I will only help her. She has been eating out of my hand again and seems quite relaxed now :D still only 4 babies that I can see, which is more than enough for her to cope with.

peediepixie said:
OMG! Poor Rowan, she must be totally drained. I could swing for the person you got her from. :x Hope she and babies are ok. :(

she is munching away on clover, grass and dandelions! lol just checked and there is def 4 all look fine :D

Back