• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My lionhead's pooey bum, any opinions please

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Right any advice/ thoughts from anyone appreciated

My Holly suffers with terrible sticky bum and it's driving me mental. Since she came to us she's been the same. I've had experiene with sticky bum before, but this seems ever lasting.

She is a gannet, anything she finds to eat she'll eat it, bird poo, seed, she even finished a curry I put down while I answered the phone (vegan so nothing really bad in it) which I think is half the problem. Of course I do my best to make sure she doesn't get anything she shouldn't, but even her pellets make her bad, veg makes her worse.

I feed her on grass and hay only, but she still get's an upset tum. I have constently got bio lapis in her water.

It doesn't make her miserable or anything, she is one of the happiest buns I've got, but she's not keen on getting wet, I do the cornfour thing, but if it's been bad in the day it's normlly dry when I get home so it's hard to get off.

I've got the vets to shave her a few times to keep her clean and I've since bough a professional animal trimming and clipper set to do it at home, I alway cover her in rear guard too.

It's going to be a problem when shes bonded, because I can't not just fed the other bun on no veg and no pellets and she can't move in with baby frenchie, a he needs his pellets but she'll eat them too.

Any suggestions would be great I've tried her dandelions and everything, but nothing seems to stop it :(

PS she has had a few health checks at the vets because of this and she perfectly healthy.

aww well i hope she is ok! xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ( bless)(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

Re: aww well i hope she is ok! xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

baby boi minx said:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ( bless)(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

Thank you, I hope Minx is ok today :D

loopylop said:
OMG what a nightmare, does she eat grass tree?

Was just thinking about mandyM and her pair who had the same problem for a while - apparently (I think I have this right) it was something off the grass that was causing the problem.

If not, I've no idea mate.. have a look at this site, its pretty good..

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=670&S=5&SourceID=43

I've only recently started to give her lots grass (one of the reason I've grown section so I can pick it for her), because she's not on pellets and she will strave before eating enough hay to keep her going.

Can try giving her some plain bolied rice..will stop the diorrhea for a while at least..then just back on hay and probiotic in her water...have the vets given her anything in case it's a slow burning infection?

honeybunny said:
Can try giving her some plain bolied rice..will stop the diorrhea for a while at least..then just back on hay and probiotic in her water...have the vets given her anything in case it's a slow burning infection?

Cool I will try that, never heard of that before :thumb:

No to be honest I never stressed the situation that much, because she was always gettng into stuff she shouldn't (the bird and chinnie food) so I put it down to the, butr I've been really strict for the last two weeks and it's still a problem so thinking there's more than I previously thought. I will talk to the vets about that. I trhink I don't give anything long enough chance to work, I had her on hay for a few days then I started added lots of grass. Lasdt night when I had her and frenchie out I didn't lick the cages and trurned round and she was eating his food. I may be the problem.

Thanks Jill :D

SOAD said:
Lasdt night when I had her and frenchie out I didn't lick the cages and trurned round and she was eating his food. I may be the problem.

Licking the cages isn't going to help either, Tree :lol:

I'd feed just hay for a week... they'll hate you but it won't do any harm. That should clear it up - if not you'll know it's something other than diet. Then introduce things back slowly and note what causes trouble.

Tam

Tamsin said:
I'd feed just hay for a week... they'll hate you but it won't do any harm. That should clear it up - if not you'll know it's something other than diet. Then introduce things back slowly and note what causes trouble.

Tam

Thanks Tamsin, I will give her two days on rice, then seven days on hay :D

My Frenchie suffers the same problem if she has grass - even a tiny bit. She has SS, small amounts of veg and about one strand of hay per day :shock: (she does have unlimited fresh hay daily). How she manages to stay healthy on this I don't know but she is fine. Anything different diet wise goes straight through her. I would keep your bun off grass (and curries of course!) for a week and just feed hay. If you introduce her normal diet after that one item at a time, hopefully that will give an idea where the problem lies.

I found Burgess Excel used to cause this in some of my buns, although they have been on SS for a good while now.

Sarah

Tree don't give her too much rice.. :shock: ...a small amount ,once , will help to stop the "runs!" then just offer hay, hay and more hay...and keep up the probiotic as said before...keeping fingers crossed it works! x

honeybunny said:
Tree don't give her too much rice.. :shock: ...a small amount ,once , will help to stop the "runs!" then just offer hay, hay and more hay...and keep up the probiotic as said before...keeping fingers crossed it works! x

Tree was going to give her the rice to go with the curry :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry hun - couldnt resist that one :lol:

honeybunny said:

Whoops :oops: :oops: , I only cooked a half a cup to start with really :oops: :oops: , how much is a small amount? Put it this way she can't be any worse.

loopylop said:
honeybunny said:

Tree was going to give her the rice to go with the curry :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry hun - couldnt resist that one :lol:

OMG Laura, how could you!!! She only had that when you ordered chips and it was only because she wanted a fortune cookie :D

Back