• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried About Getting Binky Neutured..I Need Help...

AprilShower

Warren Veteran
I know a couple of people have told me not to worry about the neuturing operation for Binky but I can't help it. I'm petrified about it. I've contacted vets about it looking for prices but one of them also said that it was a risky operation and isn't always successful. I know that Binky will be going under anaesthetics but I'm worried he might not come out of it. :cry: And then there's the thought that the aftermath of it might be too much for him because he's going to be very sore. I know someone who's rabbit was neutured and then two days later, he ran out in front of a car. :cry:
What do you think the chances are of it not being successful?
I really don't know if I can risk putting Binky through this for a new rabbit that he might not even get along with. I really need some advice.

Thanks.
Jennifer and Binky.xx

i was terrified of getting my rabbit done but he pulled trough the op fine
although the vet didn't give me painkillers i would suggest that if you do get the op done that you shouldn,t be as naive as i was and mak sure you get pain relief sorted before you take him home.

hope it all goes well

leonna x

You already know what i think Chick, I dont really think of what-ifs, Tilly is being speyed soon, and i dont think about whats happening. I will take her, think about her in the day, pick her up and it will be over. As ive said before, Charlie got through GA with broken lungs!! xx

Every operation is a risk. But, it is really the best for you and binky :D He will be healthy and live a long life, and maybe have a girl friend soon :D

Just do it! Thats all I have to say :D

xxx

It's always worring when you pet has to go to the vet, but it's for the best.

Everthing in life has risks.

Dougal was nuteutred and was fine.

I'm sure he will be fine.

xx

I agree with what's been said - although I must admit if one vet was telling you that it is a risky operation (as opposed to merely warning you that there are always small risks) then I wouldn't go to that vet, as it sounds as if s/he doesn't have experience or a good track record with rabbit anaesthesia and neutering! With modern anaesthetics the risks on a healthy rabbit are very small. Personally I think the statistics for rabbits are a bit skewed because rabbits going under anaesthetic for non-elective surgery are usually far more sick by the time they are taken to the vets, than a cat or dog would be by that stage.

Rescues have hundreds of bunnies neutered each year and it's rare to lose one - it does happen from time to time but I reckon most places could count losses this way on one hand, especially of boys!

AlisonA said:
I agree with what's been said - although I must admit if one vet was telling you that it is a risky operation (as opposed to merely warning you that there are always small risks) then I wouldn't go to that vet, as it sounds as if s/he doesn't have experience or a good track record with rabbit anaesthesia and neutering!

I think you're right about that. When my mother was asking for prices as well, he said €40 or €50. :? It doesn't sound like he's decided on a price for this operation which makes me think he's never done this operation.

I was worried about getting Horatio neutered but he was fine. There's a blood test vets can do before the op to check liver and kidney function.

The ones that say there's a high risk have either not done the op before or are rubbish at it. Ring round loads of vets and ask them how many rabbits they have castrated and what their success rate is. If it's anything less than 98% then don't go for it!!

I have 3 castrated bucks, 2 of which I took to the vets myself to get done, and they've come round really quickly and had no ill effects.

To me, the risk of the op is so low, and it's far better to do that than condemn them to a life without a friend and with raging hormones which just frustrate them.

AMETHYST

Amethyst said:
To me, the risk of the op is so low, and it's far better to do that than condemn them to a life without a friend and with raging hormones which just frustrate them.

AMETHYST

I really do want to get a friend for Binky but I'm terrified of having to get him neutured. It isn't so easy for me because Binky is my first rabbit and my first pet. As I said, I care too much about him to risk him for another rabbit that he might not even get along with.
Yesterday, I was confident I wanted to go ahead with bonding him with another rabbit but today I began to think about the neuturing and I'm lost as to what to do. Putting the thing I love so much at risk may not be a big deal to some people, but it's a big deal to me.

Back