• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Herb pots?

anon101

Banned
Hi Folks,

I’ve gone all green fingers this week! :D

Steve’s parents have re-turfed their lawn and I pinched a few spare turfs. :oops: I’ve cut them to fit several bog standard litter trays and I’m hoping they will grow well so I can give them to my indoor chaps to have a munch on. :)

I would also like to set up some herb pots. Has anyone else done this? What sort of pots/trays did you use?

My only concern is if I give them some plants to munch on they will scoff the lot in one go! :shock: Has anyone worked out way so the Rabbits can munch a bit but not totally destroy the plant so it has a chance to grow again? :?

Thanks,

Louise

My next door neighbour grows herbs, everytime she trims them back she throws them over the fence for my buns :D
Not sure what she's got them in though, as the fences are 6ft i cant see over, we just talk to eachothers brows :lol:

I threw half a packet of carrot seeds in a large pot... too many plants for carrots to grow but I just want them to eat the leaves anyway (which they are doing quite nicely). Also the basil, parsley, celery and rosemary is going down well :D the coriander failed :cry: I've got them all in large pots, about 10" diameter. Strawberries in a strawberry planter are a hit as well, but they get eaten as soon as a leaf appears :roll:

DSC00816.jpg

I am growing mint, coriander, roquet and parsely. I have them in post inside and a few outside. i just pull out a handful as I want it and give it to the buns. As long as you keep pulling it up and using it they will keep coming back. Be careful if you are planting mint to keep in contained unless you want it all over your garden, it can spread like crazy!! Just keep them in a sunny place and water them regularly, pull leaves off regularly and you'll be sorted I should think :D I use multi purpose compost to plant my seeds in :D

My attempt at growing herbs has been quite disastrous. I planted mint, parsley, basil and chives and only parsley appeared and fro some strange reason I have grown wheat in the same pot! :oops: :lol:

you could make a cone out of chicken wire to place over each pot whilst the plants are small. the herbs would grow through the wire and the buns can then eat the plant without killing them. when they have eaten down to the wire, swap it for a new pot and let the old one regrow :D

you could make a cone out of chicken wire to place over each pot whilst the plants are small. the herbs would grow through the wire and the buns can then eat the plant without killing them. when they have eaten down to the wire, swap it for a new pot and let the old one regrow

oooh thats agood idea :thumb:

Back