• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD vaccinations...

lucyj

Mama Doe
I've mentioned in a couple of previous threads on these vaccinations (although i can't find them now) that when I took the Honey&Harly to be vaccinated the vet said they didn't need VHD, only myxi, as VHD is virtually unheard of in Scotland. Following all your advice in here, I had a chat with her yesterday and told her that I just wanted to have it done, I didn't want to take any chances, so they're booked in for their jabs next week! Thanks everyone :)

Aww Lucy thats Great, my old vet told me VHD was uneccesary so i had only ever had the buns vaccinated for Myxi, then when we moved vets last year i asked there opinion and they said that both were important as although VHD hadn't been seen in scotland for years it was also no longer a notifiable desease so they wouldn't have seen it. I didn't have them done and i lost 10 of my buns X Where abouts in scotland are you??

Peterhead

Peterhead (30 miles n/e of Aberdeen). People on here were telling me she was wrong, then I was talking to Lynda who runs a rescue C.A.R.R.O.T. in Arbroath or Montrose I think it was as she was giving me advice on bonding and she said a friend of hers had lost some bunnies to VHD not long ago so that clinched it for me, also I told her that when I took them in for their post-op check up after neutering I asked the vet to clip their claws as they are so sharp, i am covered in scratches, and she said no they're too short just try to file them down if they'll let u. Which they wouldn't! Lynda advsied me to get a new vet......

Why not give your Vet a printout of some threads on here about VHD.
Phill, would you mind your thread from last year being one of them?
Just changing Vets is not going to educate the VET and this might be an opportunity to do so :D
......TACTFULLY of course!! :wink:

Hmmmm yeah

I expalined to her about talking to Lynda and what she said about someone in Montrose's rabbits having had it, I did it nicely, but she didn't look too impressed to be honest! Maybe tho it would make her think before advising any1 else they don't need it! Apart from that I have no complaints with her - she dealt with harly's cut and did both their neautering and they were fine.

I don't mind that thread being used one bit Lucy you could just give it to your vet and say yu'd found this and that it had worried you and thats why you wanted them vaccinating, people sometimes respond better to something written than spoken.

The problem is it's almost impossible to diagnose VHD according to my new vet so that's why it'll be 'unheard of' up there as deaths from it happen so quickly and with symtoms that can be attributed to something else, so chances are there are tonnes of deaths from it, but they haven't been diagnosed as it (if that makes ANY sense lol)

raven_guest said:
The problem is it's almost impossible to diagnose VHD according to my new vet so that's why it'll be 'unheard of' up there as deaths from it happen so quickly and with symtoms that can be attributed to something else, so chances are there are tonnes of deaths from it, but they haven't been diagnosed as it (if that makes ANY sense lol)
Very true. Most pet owners will just find their bunny dead and don't investigate further into why the rabbit died. I am sure that lots of conditions, including VHD, remain totally undetected because of this.

Vera

Isn't that like saying there's no need to vaccinate people against polio because the disease hasn't been seen in ages?!! As soon as you stop vaccinating it gives a chance for the disease to catch hold again!

AMETHYST

Back