• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Damaged Retina??

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Hi guys

When Oakley came to me last November i had her MOT'd by the vet and she was given a clean bill of health, except her eyes, the vet had a good look and said that he couldn't be 100% but there may be some damage to her Retinas. When you look at her now there is a whiteish opacness to her eyes but if you take a pic they still go red, unlike Delilha who is completely blind, her eyes go blueish white when you take a pic. Oakley aslo doesn't have a very good sense of direction and can't find things when you put them infront of her?? she has also started to growl and at anything coming at her face on including me until she realises what it is Any ideas??

It does sound as though her vision is deteriorating. Aggression is really common in Buns with failing eyesight.
Is the Opaqueness in both eyes?
It just sounds a bit like cataract formation??
Or an EC induced condition rather like my Murphy appears to have.

In my 'Notes on Rabbit Internal Medicine Book' some of the clinical findings in EC are listed as:
Cataract
Uveitis (inflammation of blood vessels in the eye)
Change of Behaviour.

Perhaps Hazel might advise a course of Panacur for Oakley and any in contact Buns just in case :?

Crikey, 'Eyes' seem to be causing a lot of Bunny probs at the mo'!!

Janex

Thanks Jane i will get her to Hazel to have a look, i did think cateracts at first but then i saw the thread about murphy and got a bit lost! She is quite happy once she knows where everyone is! I think that her eyes may have contributed to her behaivior when we moved house as well.

When I think back a few months now I realise Murphy's behaviour changed. He just got a bit nervy. Wish I'd picked up on a PHYSICAL problem then :oops: :(
I am sure once Oakley has got her bearings in the new house she'll cope just fine :D

Janex

Oh she is fine now Jane but she does growel when you approach her until she realises it's me or Ali. Any posibility she could be going a bit def as well??

Back