• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit not weeing *update*

willowflower

Warren Scout
i took dillion in for his operation (neutering) and the vet nurse not a vet discharged me says he was fine. keep him in warm etc so i did i got him at 2.30 yesterday and he hasn't weed since is this normal?
should i be worried? the vet nurse hasn't asked to see him again says he has disolvable stitches.

is this normal practice or do i jst have a really bad vet?

leona

I'd be worried if your bun hadn't weed for that amount of time.... But I don't know what to suggest really, hopefully someone with more experience can help you soon :D

Hiya. I think you need to get your Bun back to the Vets tonight. It may be that his bladder is full but he doesn't want to wee cos he is sore.
He may need his bladder expressing and then some pain relief.
Dont panic, but this cant wait til tomorrow.
Once his bladder has been emptied he will be a lot more comfy.
INSIST on pain relief for him too
Please keep us posted.
Janex

arrgh i phoned vet about dillion and she says he'll be fine the surgery is now only open to emergencies only (like what does she call this) i've to take him down tomorrow if "situation hasn't changed" what do i do it's the only vet near me.

Personally if it was me i would demand an emergancy appointment. Ask her how she would feel if she had'nt had a wee since yesterday lunchtime?
Hope Dillon is ok x

he's only drank little sips all day and hasn't eaten much ofhis pellet food
has eaten lettuce though and i've sent mum to shops for carrots and apple to see if he'll eat those.

i feel so guilt if i hadn't got him the op he would still be fine

Hi again

Has your Bun poo'd at all?
It is totally unacceptable for your Vet to have refused to see your Bun tonight :x
If your Bun has still not wee'd has not poo'd and is not eating much then he MUST see a Vet tonight. In other words he should be classified as an emergency.
Please let us know how things go

Janex

he has pooed and they look normal but he hasn't pooed as much as normal .
i told the vet i thought it was an emergency but she says there are more urgent cases which is probably right but i still feel dillion needs to be seen.
it's like talking to a wall though. i feel so angry i mean considering she never checked him over before he was discharged i dont feel shes in a position to tell me "he'll be fine"

i am sooo going to change my vet. but i cant get to one tonight as i have no idea how to get to it at this time of night.

i'm so worried .

i phoned the vet again and they said she was out on a call to phone back later but the vet nurse said "her word is final i think your over reacting we'll see you first thing in the morning"

is there a regulatory body for vets i could complain to?

its just dillion seems to be wincing every time he moves. i wasn't given any painkillers yesterday either should i have got some?

:shock: That's TERRIBLE! The fact that he is wincing is probably a good indication that he is in pain, poor thing. Whereabouts do you live, maybe someone can recommend somewhere else to try, I'm sure if you find a compassionate vet on call they will help you. Alternatively you may just have to tell your current vet that your bun is in pain and has not weed for a day and a half and that she has a professional responsibility to help, and if she doesn't, you will report her!! The professional body is http://www.rcvs.org.uk/ I'm sure there is a mechanism somewhere there for making a complaint.

Buns are usually given a 24hr pain relief injection at the time of the surgery as well, although they may not necessarily have done so judging by the rest of what you're saying. I don't think the fact that a nurse discharged him is very telling though, he could have been checked by the vet out the back and just brought through to you by the nurse, it doesn't necessarily mean that he wasn't checked.

i live in east lothian but i have no transport so i just chose local vet which is really bad i know but didnt want to stress dillion by taking him further

took dillion to vet first thing in morning they expressed his bladder and gave me pain relief he seems much happier in himself

also got full apology from vet and pain killers free

Back