• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Protecting from foxes?

Treacle44

Warren Scout
In light of the sad news posted on Rainbow Bridge, I wanted to find out how you can help to protect bunnies from the foxes when they're outside.

WE have proper bolts on the hutch, instead of the wooden latches, but is there anything else I can do? Does anyone put anything over the front of the hutch at night?

Any advice would be great.

T
x

Treacle44 said:
In light of the sad news posted on Rainbow Bridge, I wanted to find out how you can help to protect bunnies from the foxes when they're outside.

WE have proper bolts on the hutch, instead of the wooden latches, but is there anything else I can do? Does anyone put anything over the front of the hutch at night?

T
x

Hi Treacle
Great minds must think a like !
I thought the same, and have posted this topic in rabbit chat, along with a poll
xxx

pepsi said:
Treacle44 said:

T
x

Hi Treacle
I thought the same, and have posted this topic in rabbit chat, along with a poll
xxx

I've just had a look thanks for letting me know. I'm really worried now, we bought a hutch with bolts and fox proof wire but I don't feel completely happy even with those!

T
x

Treacle44 said:
pepsi said:
Treacle44 said:

T
x

Hi Treacle
xxx

I've just had a look thanks for letting me know. I'm really worried now, we bought a hutch with bolts and fox proof wire but I don't feel completely happy even with those!

T
x
I spent all last night worrying and thinking about poor Mandy. Hubby keeps telling me she will be fine but i cant stop worrying.
Do you let yours out in a run with a hutch all night? Or are they locked away?

They've got a run for the day but are shut away in a hutch and underun combo at night.

It really makes you think.

T
x

The only idea i know of that works for hutches is a sheet of plywood the size of the hutch that covers both doors. Hinge this to the top of the cage and drop down at night with a catch at the bottom then in the morning lip it up and over the top of the cage. val

fox proofing

Foxes (furmonsters) come out in the day time as well :shock: :( I would NEVER leave a bunny out in a run at any time without supervision :( I shut mine in the shed when I am not around (which isn,t often) you really cannot take chances with foxes :( even if you have not seen one around it does not mean thay are not there :( :shock:At this time of year most have cubs to feed & are desperate so will do anything to get food :shock: :shock: I have been watching my 2 vixens running around my garden with their babies this morning :) they are sweet BUt i wish they were somewhere else :(

At night times with a hutch i used to turn it round so the front faces a brick wall, because of the overhang (very slight) they still have ventilation but are best protected i think xx

OR why dont ypu one spep further and keep ur bunsters indoors like our minx! you ger so so mutch more enjoyment that way!-x-x-x-x

I'd love to but..

I'd love to keep them indoors but the other half wouldn't have it I'm afraid, I can't turn them to face a brick wall as there's a 2ft section of run at the front. Honey has a flap of roofing felt that comes down over his wire piece in the temporary hurch so I've put that down and used a piece of wood to tuck it in, and I've put a sheet of boarding over Harly's with about an inch space at the bottom for ventilation and propped it against it with another piece of wood for tonight, and I'm away to go hunting on ebay for tarpaulin big enough. I'm totally paranoid now, I've been in from work for 30mins and I've checked them 3 times. Is tarpauline def ok? Won't it be too hot?

Back