• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox Proofing

Do you leave your bunny's out at night?

• Total voters

pepsi

Alpha Buck
Because of poor Mandy's unfortunate events, I wanted to make a post about fox proofing and how to TRY to prevent foxes.
My set up: i have a run attached to my hutch, the hutch is of the ground, it is attached to the hutch with a ramp going to the run which is chicken wired but i have ALSO put a strong mesh over the top of the chicken wire because i know chicken wire isnt strong enough on its own.
What are everyone's opinions on fox proofing.....
Is it possible to make anything completley fox proof?
What precations have you taken to fox proof?
Any pictures of your fox proofing?
I have also attached a poll to see wether people leave their bunny's out at night or not? I do mine as now the hutch has a hole in the back attached to a run, i dont have any one of locking them in.
I hope Mandy doesnt mind me doing this, i dont want to upset her in any way, It could of happened to any one, maybe if we all share our fox proofing ideas it could prevent this from happening again :cry:

I think its a good idea Pepsi.

I haven't got a pic but this is my set up.

Double hutch with run attached.

The run is attached to the hutch with padlocks and I have doubled up with galvanised mesh for extra protection. I haven't done this for upstairs of their hutch but the mesh is really strong anyway. I have bolts too for the upstairs part.

They are completely covered up at night with taupauline and bricks, brooms and anything else i can really find.

I think my hutch is fox proof, it is the best it can be anyway.

When it says leaving bunnies out at night I am assuming that means allowing them in the run to... Thats why I said a definate no...
Honestly I dont think anything can ever be completley fox proof....
I am panicking as to whether to allow the bunnies in the run when I am at work during the day... and definately would not do it at night!
Just because although we dont have so much of a fox problem during the day... I have seen one once this year..
She was secure in her hutch but it still makes you panic.

Even having mine in her hutch at night.... I still put a cover over it and tie that round and then put bricks on top so the cover isnt easily pulled off... and so far they havent come anywhere near the bunny hutch.

I feel so bad for mandy , what a horrible way to lose bunnies... and no matter how much you think you can outsmart a fox they always find another way in :(

My lot are out permanently, the hutches are fixed to the runs and the runs have lids which are secured done with latches, there is mesh on the bottoms of the runs as well, not even my mums spaniel can get in and beleive me she's tried!

most of my bunnies (residents) live in an enclosure with there hutches inside that so yes they are free range come and go as they please when they please. its made of pet mesh which is professional galvinised mess, it is buried into the ground and under so if the foxes or bunnies try to dig in or out they can! :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bunnylove said:
most of my bunnies (residents) live in an enclosure with there hutches inside that so yes they are free range come and go as they please when they please. its made of pet mesh which is professional galvinised mess, it is buried into the ground and under so if the foxes or bunnies try to dig in or out they can! :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do you mean they cant :shock: :D

I take the view that if it's not secure enough for the night, it's not secure enough for the day either! I leave mine out as the runs are made from the PWS greenline panels (including underneath) and covered over with fine welded mesh and tarpaulin for over the top. I can't get into it easily (as I found out when it took me about 20 minutes to extract a rabbit with bloat!) so a fox would have a job too. My sheds are both locked by keys so there is nothing for a fox to scrabble to open, so although there is always a risk that a very determined fox will literally chew their way in, I feel that it's secure enough to leave them with run access all the time. If anything I'd say the sheds are the weaker point than the actual runs!

**Bonnie** said:
PS when you said 'out' pepsi so you mean outside but uncovered? or brought in at night?
I mean out as in out in a run with a hutch attache, not out in the garden :shock:
Mine also have a tarpauling sheet that goes over the top and down the side, both the door of the run and the door of the hutch are padlocked, my whole garden is concrete so nothing could dig in.
But i still worry at night, honestly i get up about 5 times during the night just to check.
Its a very close poll!
I look out in the morning and she is so lively binking around, they seem to come alive in the evening and morning

I think that all buns should be covered up at night, even though i think my set-up is secure i don't even want them to see a fox or be scared by one trying to get in. Makes me feel much safer.

whenever the sensor light goes off in the garden i go out to have a look thinking its a fox, but its the bloody wind!

when i buy a house i will be getting a nice big playhouse, i will feel much safer when they are in that.

**Bonnie** said:
I think that all buns should be covered up at night, even though i think my set-up is secure i don't even want them to see a fox or be scared by one trying to get in. Makes me feel much safer.

whenever the sensor light goes off in the garden i go out to have a look thinking its a fox, but its the bloody wind!

when i buy a house i will be getting a nice big playhouse, i will feel much safer when they are in that.

I was lucky that when the person made my hutch they had a sense to attach a tarpauling sheet which i pull over and have hooks at the bottom so the hutch is covered up. Its also nice because on a hot day i pull it down and she sits inside there because its nice and cool.
It is so scary i just couldnt imagine.
OUr new house has got an outside light so i will be exaclty the same!

This is our set up

Housing.jpg

We do let them in the runs all day but do put them up at night they are all on sealed concrete runs.

We have found speaking to various people over chickens etc that if a fox wants to get in he will go through wire netting of any type :cry: But its best to do whatever you can to try and stop this.

can't see the piccie?

as long as you have small square galvanised mesh attached by nails and not staples that is safe enough.

**Bonnie** said:
can't see the piccie?

as long as you have small square galvanised mesh attached by nails and not staples that is safe enough.
are the U nails ok? Thats what mine are attached with.

Well I guess my hutches are not fox proof then from what you all are saying, but can't see how a fox could get in to be honest (touch wood it never happens), I certainly don't tie sheets over them at this time a year, I would rather take my chances with the foxes then the heat :?

Well I guess my hutches are not fox proof then from what you all are saying, but can't see how a fox could get in to be honest (touch wood it never happens), I certainly don't tie sheets over them at this time a year, I would rather take my chances with the foxes then the heat

Your hutches looked really sturdy to me!

maybe put some bolts on if you haven't already to be extra safe.

If they are covered at night with taupauine they won't be too hot, mine aren't anyway..

Hello
This doesn't upset me at all, I am glad that people are thinking about fox proofing.

I wouldn't want anyone else to learn the very hard way like i have done. To find their headless bodies just lying in the garden was awful- my lovely Esmerelda and Hann reduced to lumps of meat because of my stupidity. I'm sorry if that image upsets people but that is the reality of a fox attack.
I find it hard to relate the bodies to them if that makes sense as they both had such strong personalities.

My boyfriend has been lovely and says he will make the playhouse foxproof, but i really don't want to think about having any more at the moment.

To be honest I have not come to terms with what has happened- I though they would have a long happy life with me and I can't believe they are no longer here. It really was an utter shock- I know sometimes foxes leave signs that they have visited, but there had been none. I keep thinking about the what ifs and what must have happened- it looks like the fox did not actually manage to enter the play house as there are no signs inside, so they must have ran out in a panic.

I don't want people to think i feel sorry for myself at all- I do not, I just feel bitter and angry at myself and very sorry and upset at the fear and pain Esmerelda and Hann must have experienced.

I hope some people will not read this and think 'it'll never happen to my bunns' as thats exactly what I thought.

**Bonnie** said:
Well I guess my hutches are not fox proof then from what you all are saying, but can't see how a fox could get in to be honest (touch wood it never happens), I certainly don't tie sheets over them at this time a year, I would rather take my chances with the foxes then the heat

Your hutches looked really sturdy to me!

maybe put some bolts on if you haven't already to be extra safe.

If they are covered at night with taupauine they won't be too hot, mine aren't anyway..

I've had strong mess on them and they've quite sturdy catches they need to turned completely round to get them off and they can't be lent on to get them off. I've lorry curtain backs as covers but in the winter when the hutches are covered they chuck off some heat on the inside so I would worry about the being covered in the hot weater.

Back