• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I get (another) new bunny?

daisylou

Warren Scout
Bojangles is a nearly 4 year old Nethie who lived with beautiful Mossy until 9 weeks ago when she suddenly needed to get put to sleep. Even though I was devasted I got Bojangles a new friend a few days later. Bojangles and Poppy were just being to become good friends, but last week she took ill. Today when I came home from work she was dead. I can't believe that I have lost 2 of them in 2 months.

I don't know what to do now. Should I just keep Bojangles as a single bunny or should I try again and get another bunny. I know it is probably just bad luck, but what if bad luck strikes again?

What would you all do?

Louise and Bojangles

Im soo sorry to hear you have lost two rabbits in such a short space of time :( You say that they were ill before they died.. what were their symptoms? Were they the same? Bojangles would probably like another partner however i think its important to figure out what happened to the other two bunnies first

To be honest I don't really know what happened with Mosschops. She seemed a bit off colour one evening so I took her to the vet the next day who squeezed her tummy and she screamed. He scanned her and said she had sediment in her bladder and needed an op. Then they called me the next day to say she had an infection, I think it was peritonitis?, and it was fatal so they put her to sleep there and then - it was such a shock.

Poppy started having diarrohea last week and her bum got really messy and she was lying down all the time so I took her to the vet. They sedated her and shaved her, checked her teeth - clipped? some - they were longer on one side they said. They said she recovered really well. I wondered if her teeth would contribute to her pooey bum. Over the weekend she picked up and then dropped again. By the time I took her back on Monday her bum was a was again even although I had been trying to keep it clea. They didn't want to sedate her again. They gave me oral antibiotics for her and some food that I had to hydrate and feed her through a syringe. She hated the food. This morning when I picked her up her ears were freezing and she seemed so skinny. I really wanted to take the day off work and take her to the vet early - but people don't always react kindly or caringly when you have an ill pet. Of course now I wish I had as I didn't even get to take her this evening as she was dead when I got home.

I just feel I have let both of them down:(

aawwww im so sorry to hear that. You havent let either of them down.. sounds like both scenarios were out of your hands :( A real mystery of what caused both of them to become ill but they do sound like different problems. Im sorry i cant help shed any light on what it could have been.. ive no idea.

I hope your other bunny is doing ok on their own.

Back