• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Caravan Holiday with rabbit

holder

Alpha Buck
I have just been told by my hubby that he has booked a week away in the caravan but i don't want to leave Honey while she is going though all the trouble she has with her abcess, so i wondered if it would be safe to take her with me & keep her in the caravan has she has not been able to go out at the moment, i am worried about the wild rabbits which there is lots around there, she has had the myxi & VHD injections last month, just need to know she will be safe.

Is there nobody near you that does bunny boarding?When i go on holiday i take mine to the rescue where i got them from.I trust them 100% and know they get the best care.

Becca

Honestly I would soay no. Poor ventilation, the temperatures can get pretty dramatic and what if she got out? That would be awful. There is also the car trp, usually long and stressful especially for bunnies. This is coming from a person who also would love to bring her bunny with her in caravan trips.

I live in a part residential holiday home place, I'm not in a caravan myself but some of my neighbours are and two of them have bunnies and most everyone has some sort of pet. You can keep caravans cool by leaving windows open and as long as your rabbit's not in contact with the wild bunnies I think that should be fine.

I'm talking about static caravans here though, not tourers as I know nothing about that kind.

Thank you all for your help my caravan has air con so it is always cool so thats no problem & it is a big caravan (25ft) i don't want to leave her with any one because of the trouble she is having with her hock & having to go to the vets for her injections & keeping the hock clean plus giving pain killer, where my hubby has booked the holiday at is only 45 min away from my house so i can still take her to the vets, she is in the car every other day going to the vets which takes 20 mins there then 20 mins back, she is so used to the car now she lays down & sleeps or washers herself, last week we was at the vets every day for a week & this week it has come down to every 3 days & next week it will be every 4 days so i will have to make the trip to the vets at least once with her.
I'm still not 100% on what to do has toffeepudding has said "what if she gets out" god i would die if that happened, i will be on my own on this holiday has i am in need of a break has a lot has been happening at home & work & family & honey it has all took its toll but i wish honey was better so i could leave her with the rabbit sitter who i have used before but with all that is going on with honey now it is a lot to ask of someone & i would be worring all the time in case the hock was not cleaned or she started to bite at it when she is on her own has no one can look over her all the time & they didn't notice it.
I wish my hubby had not booked this holiday untill she was better but god knows when that will be.

45 mins in a car isn't far at all.

As long as she is not to hot in there and has a cage/pen or something then she will be happier with you then a sitter and you will feel more relaxed having her with you.

You are also near your vets so i think it would be fine!

Thanks Bonnie we have a amazon land cruiser with air con which i always use when i take honey to the vets & it can get very cold if you want it to, plus i have a carring cage for her & i put the selt belt around it, one thing with the land cruiser the ride is so smooth, we have horses & the horse trainer told us they are the best car for pulling a horse box has the horses don't feel the bumps or the swaying has some cars do, so when she is in the car she is so relaxed but wakes up has soon has we go though the vets door :( she is moving all over the place but has soon has she is back in the car is is settled again. :D
I know i am being over the top with her but she has been though so much in her short life i am scared some thing will go wrong if i'm not there for her.
Thanks again Bonnie :D

Since you have justified almost everything I said i would say yes, take her, whats the point of having a holiday if you would be worrying about her. If you are on your own its different too, I'm thinking family holidaying you know, kids letting the rabbit out and hubby wanting to go and do things. If your on your own, if I am not mistaken, you will be more likely to sit and drink lots of tea and read books? Thats what I would do if i was on holiday by myself. If this is the case you will be there to make sure she doesn't get out etc.

I have a client who boards her rabbit with me when they go abroad but they always take the bun with them when they go in their caravan. They have never encountered any problems. I say go for it as she will be good company for you :D

Thanks Kayj i took Honey back to the vets again today for her injection & i asked the vet & she said it will be fine just has long has i can take her back wednesday for her injection, i am really looking forward to it now & i can spend all my time with her, i can't wait for tomorrow :D :D :D

Back