• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A question about wire floors

Beebop

Warren Veteran
I always though wire floors were extrememly uncomfortable and caused sore hocks, yet in a forum search someone said they were okay and rabbits actually prefered them?!?

I would never house a bunny on wire floors ever, but was wondering what everyone else thought.

I agree i always heard that they are uncomfortable and the bunny could catch their feet in them, but then i've also read on here that it is ok to wire the floor. so i dont know, sorry not much help :?

I read that it depends very much on the type of wire and the spacing. If it's narrow-spaced smooth wire then it's ok, but if it's widely-spaced thin wire it's likely to make the bunny's feet sore etc.

AMETHYST

It's Angoras that prefer wire flooring as it lets air circulate around them. A test was done where angoras had a choice of floors to live on and they all picked the wire floor, it keeps them cleaner and cooler and due to the amount of fur on their feet, they don't get sore.
I wouldn't keep other buns on it though.

I would prefer not keep animals on a wire floor, but if the angoras perfered it and the wire was suitable then it would be ok.

I don't house mine on wire floor permanently, but have a mesh flooring on their main run on the grass. For me it wasn't the perfect solution, but a pragmatic one - they weren't having enough time on the grass because they are such major diggers, whereas now they get to stay out for hours.

i can understand why people with longhaired breeds (as stated above) would use them but personaly i dislike them. i can imagine all to clearly the horredous sores that could result from inappropiate wire used as hutch bottoms.

Back